Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

It looks like SP4 has been released today

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I'll give it a little time and see what kind of bugs are hiding in it.

Joe Brouillette

Yeah after NT 4.0 SP6 i'm still a little gunshy.

I loaded SP4 on all of my production servers today.

-just kidding. I am waiting too...lol

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2000

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

LOL! Jpoandl, I read your comment and my jaw almost hit the ground. Then I scrolled down.

Still chuckling,

Joe Brouillette

All I thought when I saw that was.....dumbarse. But hey its your job right! Good one. Hell I still need to load SP3 on all my servers here. Probably gonna do that this weekend or next. Get it over with.

Well I found a bug on the workstation I installed it on: It won't power down or restart by itself anymore. I have to press the buttons manually.

I wonder what other ones I'm gonna find.

Daniel.

I think we will wait to c what niggles/security holes appear with this release. Anyone planning 2 remotely deploy this to their workstations?

I was sent an email from one of my venders that said not to install it unless I want to reset up all of the roaming profiles. It seems to take over all the profiles as an admin ownership and will not allow users access to thier profiles.

We have had some errors with SP4 regarding with it increasing the registry size. See below:

<Our dells have a promise PCI controller, it only leads to the latter that the update is making the registry file too large to be able to boot in conventional memory. Believe it or not, Wintel based pc's still only have 640K for Dos, and 16mb for windows at boot. Over this and the system
halts. So this would be a good reason to hold off on installing SP4 on any machines until they resolve this issue>

Anyone else see this issue when playing around with SP4?

Well I'm running ipv6, and service pack four and not spotted any problems yet.

Though granted that machine doesn't go into operation til tommorow at the earliest.

I had problems with it, my hp psc 750 software stopped working, i did some reasearch on this site, tried all the available fixes, noting worked (checked versions, network install is what i used, got latest version drivers from hp, plus all the fixes, noting worked) put service pack 3 back on (thank god for uninstall :) ). I didn't catch this on my test computers, because they don't have the hp psc 750 on them. Also i noticed slow boot (after log-in) with out roaming profiles, desktop would show, then would lock up (even test computers). I reverted everything back to service pack 3, am working fine now, i download hotfixes and security updates from m$ on a regular basis, so i'll do what speedracercjr is doing, wait until the next sp to make sure all the bugs are found/worked out.

Thanks,
James
[afro][mad]
&quot;Make it idiot-proof and someone will make a better idiot.&quot; ~bumper sticker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back