Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT Jobs ???? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrmWvr

Programmer
Apr 2, 2002
CA
Are the jobs coming back? There doesn't seem to be much demand for IT workers, except for senior level stuff. At least in Ottawa, Canada. I managed to land a government job doing web development, after graduation, but I think that I'll be stuck here for some time. The security is great, the pay is not bad, but the work is sometimes boring.
I've been reading about programming jobs going overseas, India and the like. So, what IT jobs are going to stay here?

Marc

That place hiring? Glad to hear something positive. Good luck.
[cheers]
[americanflag]

Glen A. Johnson
Johnson Computer Consulting
MCP W2K
glen@johnsoncomputers.us

Want to get great answers to your Tek-Tips questions? Have a look at FAQ219-2884

"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn return to the same box."

The L1 and H1-B visas are soon to be a hot topic in the political arena.

Some things I have read though I see as a catch-22. Companies state that for some jobs they must go offshore because the talent pool in the U.S. is so limited and the number of people in that are in that field of study in college has dropped. I see the reason those numbers have dropped as not being a lack of people intrested but rather people being practical. If people see a large section of their job market being sent offshore why would they want to prusue a career where the potential for a job is shrinking.

"Shoot Me! Shoot Me NOW!!!"
- Daffy Duck

I think that Cajun has a point about equilibrium. The situation is not totally hopeless.
(1) You can move a call-centre to a low-income country, but to get people to work for you there you will have to pay them a little more than they are already earning. Their expectations will go up, they will want nicer houses more like they see/hear about in other places, and will (quite reasonably) demand more... and after a while you'll have to move on and outsource somewhere else, or face up to the fact that out-sourcing doesn't stay cheap for ever. Example: I gather Mauritian textile firms, oringinally one of the world's great out-source destinations, are increasingly inclined to outsource again to places like Madagascar, which have cheaper work-forces..
(2) If you outsource, you do lose some flexibility. Again in textiles, I gather it now makes some sense for European end-users to source from places like Portugal rather than cheaper southern-hemisphere economies, because fashion is so fickle that by the time a new style has come and gone, a boat has only made it half way round the world.
(3) And yes, I agree entirely, it doesn't help that the IT world was, for a time, flooded with managers who didn't have the IT experience to recognise a good IT qualification from bad, and applicants who had jumped on the gold rush and frankly knew very little about their subject. Those days are gone, but the aftermath is still with us...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back