Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

IT Career Dilemma! 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TwistedAdmin

IS-IT--Management
May 6, 2002
US
Hey all,

I've been involved in the IT field now, intermittently, since 1991. In 2000, I hit what I thought was a milestone, landing a job as a network administrator. Things were going great until the company was sold to its biggest competitor and I eventually found myself a casualty of 'down-sizing' in December of 2002.
Until January of '05... I struggled along by picking up the odd-ball consulting job and juggling 3 part-time jobs to make ends meet. In January of '05, I landed a full-time job for a small 'mom-and-pop' computer/copier business. I've been with this company since. The pay's not the best, but it isn't the worst. The major drawback is there isn't any health coverage (it costs the employee around $900/month if he/she wants it).
However, two weeks ago, one of the company's clients, came out of left-field and offered me a full-time position with the company as their network admin. The pay is $15k more annually and they offer full medical benefits. The company is also MUCH more lucrative and in a less volatile industry.
My dilemma... go with this new company... or stay with the my present employer. My present employer has been 'talking' about making me and two other employees partners of the company. I am 'the man' when it comes to computers and networking and related sales and service with my present employer. Talking to him today about this issue resulted in the dreaded 'counter-offer'. On top of that of course is feeling 'guilty' for wanting to leave... and the fact that it will be very tough for the owner to replace me with a similarly skilled individual for what he was/is paying me.
Lots more to this... but that's the core of it right now. Input would be greatly appreciated. And I apologize if this doesn't fit in the present forum.

Sincerely,
TwistedAdmin

[ A+ Certified, Net+ Certified ]

"Old men are always young enough to learn."

~ Aeschylus

That's great news, TwistedAdmin. I wish you the best of luck.

Carlsberg don't run I.T departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

In other words, you felt guilty about leaving this company because this company was underpaying you. I would love to know how you came up with that logic.

I'm glad you took the new job.

TwistedAdmin,

I think you should take the new job. Often that is the only way to move up. The benefits with the new job will are more then likely better (i.e.: cheaper medical).

Wizdom

You are here to improve your life. It is a business decision, not a personal one. Remember this.

"That time in Seattle... was a nightmare. I came out of it dead broke, without a house, without anything except a girlfriend and a knowledge of UNIX."
"Well, that's something," Avi says. "Normally those two are mutually exclusive."
-- Neal Stephenson, "Cryptonomicon"

Once you have let the employer know that you will leave, it will always be in the back of their mind that you might leave. Therefore, I don't believe in counter offers. There are also many "Personnel" books which have this opinion. Try doing a search on counter offer employment on the web. I would take the 15k and graciously thank the mom&pop for the opportunity to work there. If you feel really guilty, offer to help screen your replacement(s).

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

Here a link to get you started.

The Riley Guide: Network, Interview, & Negotiate
Evaluating and Negotiating
Job Offers
October 2006
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluating a Job Offer || Employment Contracts
Submitting Your Resignation || Considering a Counter-Offer?
Negotiating || Negotiating Relocation Expenses
NonDisclosure / NonCompete Agreements

Do you accept the first job that comes along? Should you just accept the salary they've offered? What do you do about that counter-offer your employer made to get you to stay?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Evaluating a Job Offer
Evaluating a Job Offer from the OOH.
How do you determine this is a good offer? This article helps you identify the issues to be considered and how to answer the various questions that may come up as you consider your options.
Some of the resources under Negotiating also cover this topic.

Top of Page | Site Navigation Links

Employment Contracts
Employment Contracts: Everyone Needs Promise Protection, Bernard C. Dietz, Esq. (AskTheHeadhunter.com)
"You would never think of buying a home without a written contract setting out all of the details of the sale.[...] So why do people routinely accept job offers without a written contract?" Good advice from a lawyer in Richmond, VA.
Controlling Risk With Employment Contracts, Barbara Mende (CareerJournal.com)
"You've just been offered a challenging new job and must sign and return an offer letter within a week. The letter states that you'll be an employee at will, subject to termination on two weeks' notice. It doesn't specify severance but bars you from competing with your employer for two years after you leave. Can you change the terms of your employment?" In short, yes!

Submitting Your Resignation
The Proper Way to Resign, Bill Radin
"Once a new job has been accepted, you need to consider is the timing of your resignation. Since two weeks’ notice is considered the norm, make sure your resignation properly coincides with your start date at the new company."
How to Leave a Job Gracefully, Bill Radin
"When faced with leaving a job, it’s best to exercise decorum, whether the move is voluntary or forced."
Your Resignation: Beware the Retaliatory Strike, Bill Radin
"If your intention to make a job change is sincere, and nothing will change your decision to leave, you should still keep up your guard. Why? Because unless you know how to diffuse your current employer’s retaliation, you may end up psychologically wounded, or right back at the job you wanted to leave."
The Right Way to Resign, Douglas Welch
"Most times we are so busy looking for a new job that we put no thought towards leaving our current one. Often, how you leave a job can be just as important as how you get one."
Writing a Letter of Resignation
...article with samples you can review. From About.com

Considering a Counter-Offer?
Why Counteroffers Are Lose-Lose Propositions, R.Gaines Baty (CareerJournal.com)
Before accepting a counteroffer from your employer, consider whether you’ll be the winner or the loser in this employment maneuver.
How should I handle a counter offer from my current employer?
...some sound advice from CareerPerfect.com.

-------------------------
The trouble with doing something right the first time is that nobody appreciates how difficult it was - Steven Wright

if you want a part time job for after hours, weekends, etc., and are willing to work these hours. take the partner offer, but do it with condition that you will work these hours. you can take the new job, and keep the old as a partner working outside business hours. or you could do the old job after hours on the side as a consultant. consultant rate would be about three times what you get paid by the hour plus as a rough guess if you are not going to take the partner thing.

now, if you do not want to work that much, that is understandable. if you do not have kids, and want them, you will want the money later, lol.

There are a few simple things that we tend to forget in our daily working lives:

1. No one is unreplacable!
2. The only person you owe anything to is YOURSELF!

Glad you took the new job! Wise choice!

Glad you made the right choice. For anyone else in a similar situation, the health insurance is a big deal even if you are young and don't think you will need it. I found this out the hard way by falling off a horse and breaking my collar bone when I had no insurance. It cost me over $11,000 in cash (over ten years ago who knows what it would cost now) up front to get it fixed (I needed surgery). I loved that job but I moved on to one that offered my health insurance.

As fara as your current employer, just a do a good job of organizing information for the next person they hire and you won't feel so guilty for leaving them. Always leave a job as a professional, you never know when life might take you back that way again.

Questions about posting. See faq183-874

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back