Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

it ALL went wrong as I uploaded..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

NeilBelgium

IS-IT--Management
Sep 18, 2001
BE
dear all,

am rather frustrated. Just copied my site onto the server. Possibly made the mistake of moving the database first (access) as it was already on the server.

Now my local site is not working, despite having not made any changes, except the above (i put the db back after!), and making a hidden filer visible as I was recommended by windows.

the errors I'm getting are line 5,
Recordset1.ActiveConnection = MM_newsite_STRING

and sometimes line 15,

Repeat1__numRows = 10

same errors on all pages. something to do with the connection, and me moving the db?

the strange thing is SOME pages (about 1/3) are working OK.

can someone please decode this mess for me?

many thanks, neil

Hi Lucky Neil!

It seems like your route to the database has been changed, probably with your frantic moving of databases (?). Have you set up system DSNs for your connections or are you using DSN-less connections? Try looking at where you have
moved the database to. You are refering to 2 different systems when you refer to "..onto the server" and "...my local site" ?

Are the pages that do work under a different connection string perhaps.

Sounds like you're having fun anyway!

M

Oh yes,

Have that t-shirt (would you like one? i have them in many sizes)

Just like M said, it's a database connectivity issue. How easy it is to fix is if you are using a connection file or not.

If you did get it to work locally ..... congrats! I sure as heck had trouble with that.

What I am thinking happened, is if you moved it in UD4 - it would have altered other files to reflect. if you just plain moved it on a server - you would be fortunate for anything to work. If you later moved it back using something like Explorer - it would not update the files in UD4.....

If you can, spell out dsn, dsn-less.
Check your directories on the server. And lastly - open one of the pages in dreamweaver - open the recordset and it will tell you if it needs to adjust it's connection.

Hollar - we're here

got it! somehow used their "absolute" path example and it worked. nice of them to explain the differnce between the two, but what the heck.

thanks guys, neil

now if they explained it properly, you wouldnt have the satisfaction of seeing it finally work and go - ok what did I do to make that happen?........

heres your t-shirt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back