Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with SP3 and latest security patches? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

AjayM

IS-IT--Management
Jan 3, 2002
Everybody,

I really screwed the pooch on this one I think, my Win2k-MF XP server was running just about as close to perfect as I think you can get, it never had issues, never BSOD, went weeks upon weeks without needing a reboot, printing issues were minor and never required anything more than a manual clear-out of the queue, etc.

Then I had a day where the customers weren't on the machine, so I upgrade to Service Pack 3 and all of the latest security patches (which granted probably were not issues as this is strictly a Citrix machine). Now, I have printing problems. It seems every 3 days or so all the printing on the machine just stops, the queue's fill up but nothing get's printed. Restarting the print spooler service doesn't help at all, and when new people log on their printers aren't being auto-created.

So I'm about ready to throw a nightly reboot on the machine, but before I did that I wanted to ask a few questions;
First, has anybody else had these problems before and had them resolved? I'm looking for ideas here to try out before doing anything drastic.
Second, has anybody un-installed a service pack? I can't remember ever doing it before (I've always had a couple of lab machines to do SP testing on, but with Citrix and load requirements that's hard to do), will this cause more problems than it solves? Ditto for the security updates, any ideas on the effects of uninstalling them?

My only other option would be to piece together backups, since there is a little bit of information stored on the Citrix machine I can't just restore it from a backup, I could however restore the pre-SP3 backup, then pull out all the current information, but that could lead to bad places as well, and a nightly reboot sounds like a better solution.

Ideas?

Andrew

Hi Andrew,

We had exactly the same problem. You need to apply a hot fix Pre-SP4 Q328020.

We have only applied this today so not sure if its fixed the problem yet.

Sarah

Hi Andrew
We had the same problem and called microsoft and they said it had a flaw with printing and that it broke printing in there words to uninstall it untill they have a fix. And that is the last i have heard.

Yea, I'm starting to see that now. I'm really kicking myself over making such a rookie mistake. I should know to check the bug list on a service pack before installing it on a production machine, that bug list for SP3 is littered with printing problems, and considering Citrix's love for printers....

Anyways, I think I'll rip another full backup over the weekend and try to uninstall SP3 and hope for improvements.

Thanks for all the suggestions.
Andrew

Uninstallation of an Service pack is very straight forward and simple.
I had the exact ssame issue on a Metaframe 1.8 server.
After uninstalling the service pack I seem to remember I had some small issues, I the reapplied the last Citrix service pack I had installed and those small issues were resolved.
Citrix does not recommend installing SP3 on a Metaframe 1.8 server. SP3 on a Metaframe XP server is fine.

You will be glad to know that the fix we applied has fixed our printing problems!

Sarah

To birchsl-

Where can you download the hot fix Pre-SP4 Q328020?
I've looked all over on Microsoft's site, found the KB article referencing it, but no download point. We've also been experiencing printing problems on our MF 1.8/SP3 server. Would like to try this route before uninstalling SP3. Thanks!

Ladybug70

Type Q328020 into a search engine and you'll get loads of links.

Managed to get mine from Citrix User Group site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back