Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with Project files

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamTJ

Technical User
May 17, 2005
US
Wondering if anyone out there can help. I have two schedules in project. both with about 3000 tasks and very similar logic. Both are saved on project server 2003. There has been some issues with moving to Project 2007 and then saving back to 2003, but one of the files is about 4MB and the other is 19MB. This causes problems with emailing the larger file, it gets pushed back from many email servers. Does anyone know why one of the files would be so much larger than the other?

It's time to round up the usual suspects:

1. a graphic (or several) in the header, footer, or simply overlaid on the schedule itself.

2. tracking multiple baselines in the larger file

3. tracking actuals in one file but not the other

OK, none of the above seemed to be what was going on. BUT...I talked to Microsoft support. Not a whole lot of help there. We tried to export to an XML file, and then re-import the data. This did not work.(created a 128MB file) What we ended up doing was opening the file in Project 2007 and saving in the 2007 format. This brought the file size down to a little over 9MB. Then we saved this file in the 2003 format, the size went down to a little over 8MB. I still think that this is too large. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Ah, good trick to know. I'll put that in my quiver and remember it. Thanks for that.

I just took a look at a few older plans that I've got lying around. Found only 1 reasonably close to the ones you've been describing. This one is 4MB for 1000 tasks and 80 resources.

One other (remote ... very remote) possiblity is a graphic embedded in a Task or Resource note field. It's a stretch, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back