Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with having windows 2003 servers reboot automatically

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScottCGI

IS-IT--Management
Dec 20, 2004
US
I have a couple of Windows 2003 servers that are also citrix servers and I want them to reboot on their own every night. I tried setting up a scheduled task for that and it will not work. I also got a batch file from someone that I thought would work but still no go. My windows 2000 server reboots on it's own just fine. Anything else I can try?

Scott

Or the shutdown command with some switches will do this;
/r restarts a server, /c allows you to put a comment in, /d is the switch for the reason code.

In a command prompt type shutdown on its own to see the available swithces.

All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence; then success is sure.
- Mark Twain

Is the Windows 2000 server also a Citrix server? Are there any sessions (either active or disconnected) on the Citrix servers when you try to reboot them? Most of the time what I've seen is if other users are logged on then Windows asks if you are sure you want to reboot. A scheduled task can't answer that question. PSShutdown and the built-in shutdown have a force option (f), but I've never tried that in a scheduled task to see if it would forcibly kill the user sessions and allow it to reboot.

Yep, the 2000 server is a citrix server. I think I might have found the problem. My batch file was looking for the shutdown.exe file on the C drive instead of the M drive. So I've modified that and I'll see if it works tonight or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back