Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with DC after Windows Update restart

Status
Not open for further replies.

PhaseK

Technical User
Sep 9, 2003
GB
Having installed the latest Windows Updates on our 2003 Domain I am now having multiple issues with our main DC.

The other 2 DC's seem to have installed these updates with no issue.

The initial reboot occurred at 20:30, we then have a string of KDC errors in the event log, ID 7.

The server then rebooted itself at 20:35, this was unexpected. We then have Eventid 8015 from Browser stating that an election was forced on the network.

EventID's 40960 from LSASRV stating that no logon servers are available.

In the Application logs around the same time there are EventID's 4143 and 53258 from MSDTC stating that a DC promotion has happened since the last time the service was started, and that it could not process this event.

The server is now running very badly, and DHCP will not run and had to be installed onto another server.

If you try and access DNS or AD on the server the screen hangs and will not respond, but server shares and print shares are still responding.

When rebooting the servers waits for an unusaual amount of time on both "Applying Security Settings" and "Preparing Network Connections".

I'm not sure what to try next? We have run a DCdiag from another server which reports various errors.

Any help would be most appreciated.

And the errors reported by dcdiag were..????

What are the DNS settings on the server you have a problem with? Is it looking at a valid DNS server in it's IP settings? Preferred DNS should be pointing to one of the other DCs (i'm assuming your domain controllers are running your DNS here).

Paul
VCP4

RFC 2795 - The Infinite Monkey Protocol Suite (IMPS)

Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week

Hi Paul,

Thanks for your reply.

There were multiple errors under dcdiag, but I believe some of them were due to services having not started on the server.

The good news is (I hope) that the server now seems to be stable. I took it off the network and booted it and it came online much faster and I was able to troubleshoot it.

There were definitely replication errors and it was trying to resolve an issue with a supposed promtion/demotion event (I'm still not sure what prompted this).

Funnily enough I was checking the network config settings and noticed exactely what you have mentioned, it was only pointing to itself for DNS and not the other DC's. I amended this and bought it back up on the network.

18 hours later and the errors seem to be resolved.

Fingers crossed I guess.

Also I'm not sure what happened to the Application log - a lot of it is still missing?

Thanks,
Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back