Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues with Access 2k users and XP users in a multi-user environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RSGB

Technical User
Feb 14, 2001
GB
Hi

I have an Access 97 db whose users will be upgrading to Office 2k or Office XP, depending on where they're sited.

I know that Access 2k and Access XP are file compatible so, once I have got over any issues converting the database, users with either version should be able to use the database OK :)

Does anyone know any issues affecting usage (and development) I should be aware of though?

Thanx

RSGB

RSGB,

I can share some issues I ran into with upgrading my databases from 97 to XP.

All modules had to be recompiled and some references needed to be changed.

Also, there was a problem where my end-users couldnt enter new data because they were being told there was a "write error" when they tried to save a new record. It appeared after I upgraded to XP. I worked with Microsoft on trying to solve this issue for several weeks. The only thing that eventually solved it was upsizing the database to SQL. Microsoft had no idea. Imagine that!

If I knew then what I know now....I would have gone to 2000 instead of XP.

JennW

Hi JennW

Thanks for your reply. I was thinking of probably converting to 2000 rather than XP as it would be better to develop on the older of the two versions anyway, and also the issues of conversion to 2000 are well catalogued in these forums.

I'm just hoping M$ are right when they say they are file compatible, I don't want someone entering data and then finding half the people now can't use it...

Cheerz

RSGB

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back