Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issues Setting Up Plantronics Headsets On Merlin System

Status
Not open for further replies.

J.B.

IS-IT--Management
Aug 19, 2016
US
Hello All,

I've ran into an interesting bug while setting up a couple headsets for MLX phones on our Merlin system. Headsets are inline with lifters and mostly work great. My issue is that the ringer function does not. The handset lifter has a mic that listens for a ring and relays it to the headset. When I set a ring on a MLX phone, the lifter hears the test ring, relays it no issue. However, no matter which ring I use at any volume, the lifter will not relay a ring from an actual phone call. I can whisper into the lifter and it thinks my voice is a ring and relays a ring to the headset, so I know the lifter is able to hear. Thus my trouble shooting points to the MLX or Merlin.

Any Help appreciated, thanks!

1. plantronic used to have good technical support for this situation.

2. in most of the headset installations for mlx phones, a headset lifter is an unecceasary and clunky piece of hardware if you use the provided feature buttons for the phone you may be pleasantly surprised.
see feature reference for headsets.

Plantronics just suggested to turn up ring volume and try different rings.

I believe the Lifter is necessary, as this setup is for remotely answering the phone. If you would elaborate on why it is unnecessary, I would be happy to no longer need them.

The only section I see in the MLX-20 documentation references how to mute a handset/headset. Could you elaborate?

For best results, go integrated with the associated buttons

1. plantronics used to have good tech support

2. "headset status, auto answer, handset/headset mute and release buttons can do wonders for a headset user, without the use of a
headset lifter.

3. if you experiment with "auto answer" you may be pleasantly surprised. it usually provides a faster call answer than is otherwise
possible by real people. (automatic answer on first audible). (great for call centers using any type of service management
programs). "speed of answer" will amaze.

4. the only drawback i have seen using remote call answer by headset is with either button usage or auxilliary lifter hardware.
if your answering a call remotely, you don't have access to "tranfer, conference, hold or any other telephone feature buttons after
you have answered the call. this was a major selling point of wireless multibutton merlin telephones.

5. all of these buttons can only be added from the administration console using centralized programming. don't trick yourself by just
adding one or two of them. you will confound yourself and may wind up with erratic behavior.

6. practice using this arrangement before you present it to the user.

Thank you for all the input. I finally got a tech rep from Plantronics that understood the issue. They said it just isn't compatible (see their response below.)

Wireboy, I dont think you understood my problem, but thanks for trying.

RESPONSE FROM PLANTRONICS SUPPORT:

"I understand you are not getting ring detection with the HL10 lifter on your AT&T MLX 20 phone. Unfortunately per our engineers the HL10 lifters are not compatible with the AT&T MLX 20 phones due to the phones ring tones so you will not be able to get ring notifications through the CS50 headset or any of our wireless headsets. You will need to listen for your phone to ring then press the call button on the headset which will send a signal to the lifter to lift the handset and connect you to the call. The lifter should lift the handset but there will be no ring detection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back