Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with loadMovie

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrGNewport

Instructor
Jun 29, 2010
GB
I have a Flash CS3 file with three layers.

Layer 1 is background and simply contains the background image in PNG format.

Layer 2 has a PNG image file that has been converted to a movie clip called picture_mc with the instance name of picture.

Layer 3 is an actionscript layer with the single line of loadMovie("germany.png", picture).

In the same folder as the FLA and generated SWF is a picture file called germany.png.

I have also tried germany.jpg (as I understand that loadMovie is AS2 and so was originally limited) but I get the same issue: error 1180.

Why?

Okay, I lowered ActionScript to 2.0 since everything I have read so far implies that I would now need to consider the Loader Class when using 3.0. My concern was that PNG files were not originally loadable using loadMovie; however this downgrade works fine and so I have resolved the issue.

I note the new complexity and illogical methodology of AS3.0 and am amazed that Adobe feel that making a simple process (loadMovie) into a complex process (Loader Class) is the way forward; it appears to me too complex, multi-lined and completely unintuitive.

This seems to be true for Flash in it's entirety since now we not only need to EMBED and OBJECT but also JAVASCRIPT for the browsers to run this properly; and let's not even discuss the iPod's refusal to run SWF files.

What do people think is going to happen to Flash and what may replace it as a true easy-to-use cross-platform tool?

You can dynamically load .jpg's, .gifs and .png's since Flash 8 with loadMovie... Macromedia/Adobe also implemented the MovieClipLoader class, which I would say is halfway between loadMovie and the AS3.0 Loader Class.
After 10 years of AS1.0 & AS2.0, I agree that AS3.0 was a bummer for me, but I think that was on account of my age...
I'm a close to retirement film editor and not really in this web business at all.

As for the future of Flash, you might want to have a look at this...

Regards. CLICK HERE TO DONATE.

VISIT MY FORUM
TO GET YOUR OWN FREE WEBSITE HOSTING

Thanks oldnewbie.

I must admit that I have little desire to learn AS3.0 and not simply due to being older but I am not sure Flash has a long-term future (even given your link).

Not only the added complexity of actually adding the SWF to your site (now three stages; and two was a headache before) but also because many small devices such as the iPhone does not support it.

I did note that your link's statements oft stated that the conceived decline was down to good marketing by Apple but I would say that, from an educational viewpoint, Flash is becoming a liability. So many students are accessing learning materials online through VLEs and the like and many are using their phones, etc which do not support Flash. Worth noting that iTunes has had 20 million Open University downloads and most are on to phones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back