Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue with Bandwidth

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpollack

IS-IT--Management
Jan 26, 2005
US
At my current place of work our internet connection was very slow, so I did several speed tests, and the test revealed that we were getting a fraction of the bandwidth that we pay for every month. Verizon guarantees us 768k with a 768k burst. However, the speed test revealed that we were getting 285k down and 345k up. Yes, that’s right more bandwidth up than down. After fighting with Verizon for two days they finally gave in and admitted that our circuit was incorrectly set to 256k with a 256k burst. Verizon fixes the bandwidth problem, but the upload speed is still way higher (1404k up, 625k down) than the download speed. I called Verizon today and they insist like the previous days that the problem is on our network, because all of their settings are correct. Assuming that Verizon is correct what could be the problem internally on our network. Everything here is running smoothly and network traffic is not an issue, we only have 55 users. Keep in mind that I did run the speed tests when no one else was at the office.

Thanks for the help,
John

ask for the mrtg..it's a graph that will tell you how much speed that you are getting...

2nd monitor ur network..for hacking activity, some of the hackers can use ur bndwidth...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back