Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue setting default browser on Windows 10 Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobMCT

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2000
US
This group has been such a tremendous help with issues I thought I would post this here as searching through the MS site only yields non-working solutions on this.

I have Windows 10 Pro x64 installed and while its been working reasonably well I cannot seem to set the default browser at all. Using the usual start, settings, apps, default apps and scrolling down to the undefined default browser area, when I click I get a popup windows showing the available installed browsers. Clicking on ANY of them then clicking OK closes the window but the default definition remains undefined. If I start the browser, in this case Chrome, it asks if I wish to make this my default browser. If I click Yes it brings me to the exact same screen as described above. And this too does not populate the setting area.

Has anyone seen this before and has anyone come up with a work around???

All things considered, this is minor but still a nuisance. Thanks for any advise.

Is there a program running that protects the settings? like spybot, or malwarebytes.

Have you tried Settings/ System/ Default apps/ Web Browser/ Choose a default? There is also a "Reset" button below that item enabling the retoration of recommended defaults.

In Windows 10, "Settings" has taken over a lot of responsinilities from the older Control Panel.

Thanks for those two suggestions. Linney: that's exactly where I was going. rclarke250: I dropped any/all programs that do any protecting and I get the same result. I find only that I'm not the only one. Apparently M$ has issued a KB Fix for this but my system shows its already applied. Go figure. I'll keep looking. Thanks

Well, if you don't have ANY type of protection on your PC, it might be infected with a virus or malware.

BobMCT,

Things to try (go the next step if the previous one doesn't help):

[ol 1]
[li]At an elevated command prompt, type netsh winsock reset, press enter and reboot.
[tab][/li]
[li]Set Edge as the default browser, reboot, then try setting Chrome as the default again.
[tab][/li]
[li]Uninstall/reinstall Chrome
[tab][/li]
[/ol]

zelgar,

The OP said he removed protection AFTER he started having the issue, so I don't think your advice is relevant here.

-Carl
"The glass is neither half-full nor half-empty: it's twice as big as it needs to be."

[tab][navy]For this site's posting policies, click [/navy]here.

[bigsmile] Just wanted to let all to know I circumvented this issue. I applied the "Godmode" script and ran it which allowed me to select a default browser to which I selected Chrome. Then I went to the Win 10 settings and looked at the default web app and lo and behold it was now set to Chrome. So something is/was awry. Interesting thing, it now won't let me change it to anything else. But at least I hae Godmode to use.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back