Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Issue after creating mde

Status
Not open for further replies.

speja01

Programmer
Dec 15, 2010
US
Hi Everyone,

I've inherited a MS Access 2000 mdb database. I can recompile the vba modules without any issue but run into problems when trying to create the mde. I sometimes receive the popular "Microsoft was unable to create the mde" message. Sometimes it does create the mde but once I go into the mde and start navigating through the forms I get all kinds of Invalid Object errors when clicking on various controls. The vba code in this database was created about 10 years ago. Do you think the reason for the strange behavior is due to different versions of files? Do I have to have MS Office 2000 developer edition in order to successfully compile the code and create an mde? I currently just have MS Access 2000. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would think it should work with what you have. Do you have any missing References? Try *importing* your db into a fresh, new db and see if the problem follows. Often it will not since it will usually leave most corruption behind.

(RG for short) aka Allan Bunch MS Access MVP acXP, ac07 - winXP Pro, Win7 Pro
Please respond to this forum so all may benefit

How are ya speja01 . . .
speja01 said:
[blue]Do you think the reason for the strange behavior is due to different versions of files?[/blue]
Yes I do! What version was it written in and what version are you currently using?

[blue]Your Thoughts? . . .[/blue]

See Ya! . . . . . .

Be sure to see thread181-473997 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]
Also faq181-2886 [blue]Worthy Reading![/blue] [thumbsup2]

Also - no you don't need the developer's edition to create an mde file from Access 2000 for an Access 2000 mdb file. However, your installation would need to be at the same Service Pack level or higher.

Bob Larson
FORMER Microsoft Access MVP (2008-2009, 2009-2010)
Free Tutorials/Samples/Tools:

Hi Everyone,

I am in desperate need of some assistance from the experts here. I'm working on a project to convert an existing application from Oracle 8.1.7 to DB2 9.7 on windows. The application has a MS Access 2000 front end. The current implementation on Oracle works fine. Here is the issue I am coming across with DB2:

I have a main form named "frmItemUpdate" that has a query for a recordset which retrieves data from table a. There is a subform named "subFrmItemRequiredData" on the main form which also has a query for a recordset which goes against the same table as the main form. One of my modules issues the following command

DoCmd.OpenForm "frmItemUpdate",,,,acFormAdd

From what I understand, this command is suppose to open the form to a new blank record. When I debug this using the Oracle backend, the Form_Load event of the subform is the first event to occur after the command above is executed. When I debug using the DB2 backend. the first event to occur is the Form_Open event on the main form. If I remove the acFormAdd argument, it behaves just like the Oracle implementation by going to the Form_Load event of the subform. For the life of me I can't figure out why the DB2 implementation is behaving differently when the acFormAdd argument is used. The table both queries are executing against has a primary key defined. Can someone explain to me what exactly the acFormAdd argument is doing to the underlying table involved in the query? Is it trying to insert a blank row in the underlying table? Is this a limitation in regards to using DB2 linked tables compared to Oracle? Any help would be appreciated. I have spent several days trying to figure this out and feel like I haven't made any progress.

Thanks

No idea why that is. Normally you are correct and forms open from inside out so the sub loads before the main.
You could try as a workaround

Const frm = "frmItemUpdate"
DoCmd.OpenForm frm
DoEvents
forms(frm).DataEntry = True

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back