Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISS and Exchange, multiple webistes on one IP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCFAdmin

IS-IT--Management
May 13, 2003
US
I've already all of the other related posts but I'm still confused... Any help would be apprecaited!

Here's is my problem.

I want to host three websites inhouse.

I have:
-A range of 32 static IPs (T1).
-2 w2k Servers, web server and a print/file sharing DC.
-A SOHO3 set in NAT mode.

I will call my sites: site1, site2 and site3

My want to:

-Host all sites using one IP.
-Use exchange server. (The catch is that I have half the office using e-mails addresses assoc. with site1 and the other half with site2, but they are all on the same local domain with one copy of exchange.)

My Questions:

1. Assuming I use IIS to host the 3 sites on one IP, using headers and alias to push to traffic to the proper sites... What if one types the IP, which site will it take them to? I gather that the header/aliases will point one that enters the URL site1.com to the folder which contains site1. But I'm stumped on the outcome if the user types the IP which is used for all three sites?

2.Should my web/exchange server be a member server of DC?

3.If I have users with e-mail address = name@site1.com and namesite2.com, what should my local domain be. Can I use both in one instance of exchange.

4. Should I make my local domain company.local or site1.com? In short, can I keep a local domain and still host site1.com and site2.com and site3.com with e-mail accounts?

5.Would it be better to use seperate IP's for each site? If so, I need to config my NIC for multiple IPs, but what about the firewall and NAT?

6.Assuming my current config, can I have the webserver IP local (192.168.1.1) and have the DNS resolution IP set at public (68.68.68.68) and use a one to one NAT to point the private to the public. (Allowing it to pass through the firewall on the proper ports)

Any help would be appreciated! Details and examples please!!!

Charles

Exchange im not sure on, but IIS, well, this is what i believe!

You can't host multiple websites on one IP, all on the same port (default is 80) you'll either need as many IP addresses as you have sites, or you'll have to configure the sites to have different ports (ie, and - not ideal really!)

If (when!) you decide to get more ip's you simply have to tell iis to bind the extra websites to listen on the correct ip instead of "*all unassigned*"

If the webserver is ONLY a webserver, i would possibly be inclined to put it on the other side of the firewall. Its less secure, but more secure for the other machines on the network - just make sure its kept up to date and locked down sufficiently! This would also solve the internal domain problem - assuming theres nothing funny with exchange...

In IIS's MMC thing, go to properties > web site and in the website identification area, click on Advanced and look at "Multiple Identities for this website".

You can maybe do it there without extra IP's?!?!

Look into it..

In IIS Create your 3 websites.
Make sure when you create them you give them a Host Header.
IP Address should be the Private address of your server.
If the IP address is typed in... it will go to the one that does not have a host header.

WEB/Exchange should always be a member server

In Exchange you can setup multiple SMTP address for each user if needed, the MX records need to point to your exchnage server. The exchange server also needs to know that it recieves the domain a.com b.com c.com

Local domain should be company.local, you want to have a non-routable domain name for internal printers/ machines etc...

Yes - Better to have IP for each site
On The SOHO3:
Advanced -> One-To-One NAT
Private Range Begin = Public IP Address You Want Associated W/ the webpage.
Public Range Begin = Private IP Address Of Your Webserver
Range Length = 1
a.a.a.a 192.168.1.a
a.a.a.b 192.168.1.b
a.a.a.c 192.168.1.c

YES!

--
Ian Hoskins

Due to problems that I have been having with my web site provider, I am in the process of pulling 3 web sites and bringing them in house. As a result, I am finding myself presented with many of the same type of questions that Charles has asked. My problem is that my expertise lies in programming and not Network configurations(hence why I was contracting it out).

Can anyone recommend some step by step instructions that will allow me to properly set up multiple sites and their email accounts? (Windows 2000 Advanced Server)

My thanks in advance,

Graham Davis

Dogers, you CAN host multiple websites on one IP, all on the standard port 80. You do this using host headers, and IIS handles this very nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back