Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISP or DNS issue losing net connectivity.... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverDrive

IS-IT--Management
Dec 11, 2000
US
This is the most unreal thing I have seen in my life... I will try to elaborate to see if anyone has any suggestions.

I broke this issue down to the lowest level for the best troubleshooting procedures.

I have a 802.11b Wireless Connection for my internet feed. Attatched to this I have a LinkSys BEFSX41 for my routing and firewall purposes.

What I have done is this...

1 client is connected to the router itself, I do a "ping -n 10000 and get it to resolve fine...

Then I add a second client and do a "ping -n 10000 and as soon as I hit enter BOTH machines get knocked off the net and the only way to get them back on is by resetting the wireless radio box AND by soft resetting the router?

I had this set up on the entire network, obviously it was not working so I have broken it down this far to try and troubleshoot it...

doe ANYONE have any ideas on why this may be happeneing?

Also I shoud add, all the clients are getting DHCP from my Domain Controller... all the settings in it "should" be good (ex. forwarders, IP schema, DNS, etc...).... However in the scenario above, I removed the Domain Controller and just let the Router hand out the DHCP (did this for testing purposes).

Any thoughts?
THANKS
Chance~

1) All interal clients (that participate in the Win2K or higher domain) MUST use the Windows 200x DNS server. There are many reasons why this must be but mainly so that the clients can find resource services in the domain (like authentication).

Because of this, I usually use my Windows 2K server as a DHCP server. I turn off DHCP on the router/firewall devices. This is good too becuase if you have machines that are not at least 2K, your Micosoft DHCP server can register the computer in DNS for you.

2) Make sure that your server points to itself for DNS resolution.

3) On your internal Microsoft Windows 200x server, remove the "." root zone and configure DNS to forward to your ISP DNS servers. This will provide DNS resolution to the internet. (clients of your network will query the interal Windows DNS server...once the DNS server realizes that the requests are for a domain that it is not responsible for, the DNS server will forward the requests to internet DNS servers.

These are my suggestions anyway....

Joseph L. Poandl
MCSE 2003

If your company is in need of experts to examine technical problems/solutions, please check out (Sales@njcomputernetworks.com)

Thanks for the suggestions!

I got it all to work out, and I think it was because I had the gateway on a different IP Scema then my Domain IP Schema... for instance, I had 172.1.105.4 as the server and all clients were getting DHCP from it...

BUT my router had an IP of 192.168.1.1 so that was the gateway I was handing out to all my clients to get to the internet...

Since it was in a different schema... I changed the gateway (or router IP) to 172.1.105.1 and it seemed to fix itself.

I thought however that the gateway could be anything you wanted it to be?

Thanks!
Chance~

Thanks for those suggestions, they worked GREAT! I am just now getting back to it.

Thanks, STAR FO U!

Chance~

Overdrive

Sorry to jump in on a thread!!

I saw an issue you were looking at on the Windows 2000 Server forum where Win Server 2003 was taking an age to boot (applying computer settings).

I currently have the same symptoms, what was the resolution?

I have started a thread (thread931-815587) if you can help

Thanks

DRCbell

This is what I did... as shown above...

I got it all to work out, and I think it was because I had the gateway on a different IP Scema then my Domain IP Schema... for instance, I had 172.1.105.4 as the server and all clients were getting DHCP from it...

BUT my router had an IP of 192.168.1.1 so that was the gateway I was handing out to all my clients to get to the internet...

Since it was in a different schema... I changed the gateway (or router IP) to 172.1.105.1 and it seemed to fix itself.

Good Luck!
Chance~

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back