Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISP blocked ports

Status
Not open for further replies.

apox

Technical User
Oct 7, 2003
AU
Hi
i have a broadband cable connetion with winxp pro
im trying to use certain programs that require special ports open (well actually any) but all my ports are blocked
(xcept for 80 (http) 81 (https) 21 (ftp) and 5000 (UPNP))
ive recently discovered that its my ISP thats blocking all the other ports.
is there a way to bypass this block or is it permanent?
the ports outlined above dont work wif the software im trying to use

Check with your ISP for details about which ports they are blocking. For example, i know that our DSL customers got everything under 1024 blocked inbound, save for the obvious stuff.

they wont give me an exact list of the ports that are closed but they said all the ports that may be used with programs that break their code of conduct
which means any port pretty much.
i have tried using 100 differenct TCP and UDP ports and none work
when i used Symantec Security check only the ports that i outlined above were open, even though no firewall whatsoever is being used.
what i dont understand though is how kazaa can use port 3014 still.
is a program able to force a port open?

Most application and "regular" servers use ports in the lower port number, which are defined by the IANA.

Kazaa uses a port number that's higher than what's defined by the IANA, which are usually not blocked by ISPs.
--Dave

If your ISP is blocking all the assigned ports, try using an unassigned port number if you can. What software do you use that requires which port?

Assigned ports... that's the word i was looking for the other day... I despise having memory holes like these when posting.

the program is overnet and its default TCP port is 4662 but it doesnt work.
ive tried 100 random ports but none work.
what do you mean by unassigned port? n gimme an example plz =)

I'm not tell you to hack it or anything, but if they leave the common ports open, try ports 25 and 115. If you're running a mail service on that computer, try 20 and 21. See what those does for ya'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back