Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISP and VPN

Status
Not open for further replies.

itenghm

Technical User
Feb 1, 2007
SY
Hi all
I used to access our network through vpn (remote access using vpn over internet) but now I can't and I didn't change any configuration so I called my ISP and they said it's now forbidden (don't ask me why!!!!) I want to know how can they do that and is there any way to get over it?

Are you the network admin? Are you accessing the vpn where you work from your house, and browsing the internet that way? I am confused...

Burt

well
I want to access our network from my home so
first of all I connect to the internet and then I connect to my network through vpn
I don't understand why you are confused!

I am confused because I misread the question, sorry. However, why would you call the ISP? Like I say, are you the network admin? What kind of connection do you have to the internet at work?

Burt

7ala

Did you get specifics as to why it is forbidden?

I know that some ISPs are now requiring you to "upgrade" your service to business class if you desire to use VPN connections from home.

hi
no they said that it's forbidden for security reasons!!
but I want to know how can they do?
thanks

hi burtsbees
no problem
we have dsl connection and from home i connect to the internet through dial up to and everything was going very well until today?

Security reasons??? Which ISP---yours or where you work? Do they even know what a VPN is? It really doesn't get much more secure than that!

Burt

hi
what can i say !
i can't tell you what have they done
they prevented things without any logical reason
anyway thanks for your reply

Hala

Hi
What can I say!
I can't tell you what they have done
They prevent things without any logical reason
Anyway thanks for your reply

Hala

They are no doubt blocking IPSEC traffic, which a lot of ISPs are doing these days. They often have alternative services including (or limited to) to VPN traffic.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

Sometimes to make more money and charge it as an extra, in other cases (such as wireless O2), it's a security measure to stop your machine being a proxy onto the corporate VPN.

Carlsberg don't run I.T. departments, but if they did they'd probably be more fun.

I think your ISP is doing one of two things:

1. Blocking all encrypted traffic (usually done to "protect" their network from encrypted p2p file-sharing traffic)

or

2. Trying to get you to upgrade to a business-class agreement. Claiming that encrypted traffic is a security risk is utter nonsense.

Thank you all
I think They are trying to get more money so
I guess I had to find another way
Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back