Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

isometric grid

Status
Not open for further replies.

lozenge004

Technical User
Feb 18, 2004
GB
Hi, I was wondering if anybody knew if it was possible to change illustrators defualt background grid to an isometric grid, or if anybody has any other solutions to drawing in illustrator in an isomtric style.

Hi lozenge...good question.

I'm sure there is no built in Illustrator Isometric grid.

I would suggest you Google "Isometric Grid".

I just did and I'm a bit busy to have a good search but the very second link was what looked like a good tutorial for CorelDraw (which you could transpose to Illy) for drawing one yourself:

But what I thought would be even easier is that there will definately already be Isometric Grids out there on the net that people have made as .ai or .eps files for free downloads. If you can't find one on Google try having a look over at the Adobe Studio Exchange (adobe.com). There will more than likely be one there and if not...then pop in to the Illustrator forum at Adobe Forums and ask them. I guarantee someone there will know of one!

Hi Dimoj,

Thanks for the help. I cant seem to find any templates with a google search so I think i'll have to stop being lazy and make my own.

If i make a single isometric cube i can just copy and past it to get my template.

strange, i cant even find isometric paper in any of my local stationary stores!

dimoj, you're an absolute star (an isometric star!) thanks.

The quick and dirty way to create an isometric grid in AI:
1. Draw a vertical line where you want to start the left side of the iso grid.
2. Draw another vertical line, this time where you want the right side of the iso grid to end.
3. Select both lines and click on the Blend Tool.
4. With the Blend Tool, click on the first vertical line, then the second one.
5. Double click the blend tool to bring up the blend options dialog and select "Specified Steps" or "Specified Distance", whichever suit your needs. Here specify the distance you want between the vertical lines. Click OK.
6. Select the vertical blend; Double click the Rotation Tool to bring up the Rotate dialog box.
7. In the Rotate Dialog box, specify 30 for the angle and click 'Copy'.
8. Repeat steps 6-7, but this time specify -30 for the angle.
9. Select all the 3 blends (vertical, 30, -30) then select Object > Blend > Expand.
10. Now select View > Guides > Make Guides

There's your iso grid.

Sorry, that's almost good! Before you do step 9, you have to edit your vertical blend spacing, by double clicking the blend tool, and setting the vertical distance divisions/spacings in such a way that they will exactly cross the 30 degree lines. If you have "Snap to grids" on, it's easy.

BTW, I don't understand why there isn't an option to edit my own post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back