Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.iso won't boot 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimJim

Programmer
Aug 7, 2000
US
I have downloaded the files valhalla-i386-disc1.iso, *disc2*, and *disc3* onto separate cd-rs as told to do on redhat.com, and yet, when I put the first disk (the one with "valhalla-i386-disc1.iso") in, it won't boot up to install the program when I restart the computer.

I have set it set up to boot from the cd-rom drive first and everything.

Why won't it boot? It just says, "boot from CD..." and then continues to boot from the hard drive.

Thanks in advance for any help!
SlimJim

Did you check the iso for corruption before burning?

What did you use to burn the disc image? It does support iso images, right?

Did you check the CD for corruption after burning?

Could your CD-ROM Drive read the disc after you burned it?

Can your CD-ROM boot off other CDs?

Does your bios require some form of input to boot from CDs? Most require a key press at a certain time in the boot process.

It could be a number of reasons, but I assure you the image works properly. Thousands of other people are using it successfully.

I did not check the iso for corruption before burning...

I used Iomega to burn the .iso files onto CDR's...

The CD-ROM DOES read the disc after burning...

And my CD-ROM does burn off of other CDs...

I realize that this "should" work...but for whatever reason, it does not. Why won't my bios start running a ".iso" file on a CD to boot?

Thank you for your quick response, and your concern with helping me with my problem!

SlimJim

Did you copy the .iso files to the CDR, or did you burn them as an image file? I use Nero to burn .iso images (File - Burn Image - Browse for the .iso). Check to see if you can read the discs from another machine.

ChrisP

Yes, I did copy the .iso files directly to the CDR, not specifically copying them as an "image file." I do not know if my software (Iomega) is capable of 'burning images', but how is this different then just burning the .iso onto the CD-R?

My CDR can be read fine in my computer as well as others. It just isn't bootable.

Thank you for your help, fluid11!

SlimJim

Its completely different. If you bought a Red Hat CD and made an .iso image out of it, and then burned the .iso image onto a CDR, it would re-create the Red Hat CD exactly with all the folders and files and everything.

Download Nero from In Nero, File - Burn Image - browse for the .iso image.

ChrisP

Thank you for your help! Everything is up and running now!

Thanks again!
SlimJim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back