Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISDN Public Numbering Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

sezwhat

Technical User
Jul 30, 2003
US
I have a requirement where the customer wants to display their actual extension only when calling certain locations.

I see that the 'public numbering' command lets you change the CPN based on the trunk group that carries the call, but the customer does not want to dedicate trunks for this purpose.

Is there a way to manipulate the CPN based on dialed number and not by trunk? Thanks in advance.

you can restrict sending number on page 2 of the extension by putting "r" and then use a feature access code for sending cli. I have this working on a site where they want to dont want show any number permanently unless they press the feature access code

mrjedi- Thanks for your response. My customer is currently setup (using the public numbering command) to send their main listed number for all extensions. This allows them to be somewhat anonymous, but since they are providing a valid CPN they get through even when anonymous call rejection is activated.

The requirement is to provide the actual DID number only when calling a field office without the need for dedicated trunking. The field offices all have specific DID ranges that could be easily entered into ARS if that were an option.

The solution needs to be transparent to the users as this is a fairly large organization (over 2500 extensions at the main location) and it would be impractical to ask the users to change the way they are placing the calls.

not sure if this will work but if you are using UDP to call site offices, would it be possible to put the feature acces code on specific udp number. Don't think so but just a thought.

I was able to accomplish this through a clever work-around, if I do say so myself. I took my main trunk group that outbound calls use and split off about 4 trunks into their own group. I then used ars to route specific dialed numbers over this trunk group. ISDN Pub Numbering is set to send full DID numbers out over this trunk group. I also use it for outbound 911 calls so 911 gets the DID number, not the main number. Been working great and transparent for about a year or more. (I also route calls to my cell over this trunk so I know exactly who is calling me.)

Thanks TivoNut- Your solution is the one I was trying to avoid. Not so much for my site because we have excess trunking, but some of the field sites have just one outbound PRI and I'd hesitate to partition it for this purpose.

I do like your cell phone idea though...

I only have one outbound PRI in my setup. I setup the route patterns so that calls that get the DID get the first trunk group, if it's full it will still go to the next trunk group. So the call still goes out, but won't get the full DID. Same way on all other calls, most go out on "generic" trunk, but if that were full, they'd go out the small group. Minor trade-off, but in practice, it has not ever been an issue. I put my home number, cell, friends, co-worker's cell, and so on in ARS!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back