Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISDN Phone Lines in UK

Status
Not open for further replies.

koulioumbis

IS-IT--Management
May 21, 2009
GR
Team hi
recently i was in a a customer meeting and got informed that ISDN lines will stop being supported in UK.
Any thoughts about that? Here providers register the numbers to routers via sip trunks and then they connect PBX systems to the router via ISDN interfaces both PRI and BRI.
What feedback can you provide? Is the end of pure ISDN comming soon?

Nikos

Well, I'm in the UK and I have not heard anything about ISDN being phased out. I guess in years to come, that SIP will start to be the prefered choice.

I think it is most likely that the older DASS / DPNSS ISDN trunks will not be supported as ISDN 30e (I421) is the standard that customers are told they have to use.

Firebird Scrambler
Nortel Meridian 1 / Succession and BCM / Norstar Programmer in the UK
Advance knowledge on BCM support

Its been the rumor for the last couple years.
With Voip/SIP becoming the number one choice with new systems it does not surprise me.
No more land wires to building and/or Pair Gain units required or interfaces (DTI card) on phone systems.
I think by the time they are phased out you will probably be on newer systems or there will still be the converters perhaps.

When you say "here" are you in the UK or some of your BCM's?

=----(((((((((()----=

small-logo-sig.png

Toronto Canada

Honestly, I see the whole "end of PRI" thing really just being a way for providers to lessen their network costs. If you want to keep your ISDN interface, I'm sure they'll gladly rent you a SIP-->PRI box at a monthly cost.

No the providers here bring a cisco router with a G703 interface that goes direct to BCM DTM like a normal PRI so the local connectivity it TDM from the router to the PBX and the rest is Voip , SIP trunking from the router to the telco backbone. It works fine. Sometimes is there is a transcoding issue we work with the telco and it gets fixed.
regards
Nikos

That's the same way AT&T delivers their IPflex PRI service in my area (Southeastern U.S.).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back