Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

isdn modem and digital leased line

Status
Not open for further replies.

veeran

ISP
Dec 21, 2001
ZA
hey

first post please give me a chance

I have two pc's in two different offices. I want to connect the two offices via a leased lines. They currently connect to each other via a dial up server and proxy software.

I want to know whether i could continue with this setup but change the connection method from dial up (ISDN) to digital leased line.

ie:

LAN 1 ============================= LAN 2
ISDN MODEM ============================= ISDN MODEM
PROXY SOFTWARE ============================= PROXY SOFTWARE

Thanks in Advance

A point to point leased line would be a very expensive option just to connect two PC's!

How far away is the other office?

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

well they are in excess of 1 km 9 1/2 mile apart and in za we are not allowed to connect two lans together that cross a road with out using a leased line / pay our telekoms provider money

veeran

Well okay then! A leased line might be a good option! Beats ISDN dial up!

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Why not connect both sites to the Internet...and create a VPN between the two of them?

good idear.

one site is on the internet and i want to share the bandwidth from this site to the other.

My question has still not been asnwered.

I want to use the existing ISDN Modems on a DIGITAL Leased line instead of having to purchase another router to connect them up together.

The same way we use analogue leased lines with analogue modems.

Veeran

For a leased line you will need serial interfaces on your routers! Depending on where you are, if you get a leased line from your ISP or comms provider the chances are that they'll provide the routers for it.

Chris.
Chris Andrew, CCNA
chrisac@gmx.co.uk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back