Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

isdn fritz card using only one bri channel

Status
Not open for further replies.

milikk

IS-IT--Management
Jul 20, 2000
DE
Ok, this is my problem:
When dialing into the access-router(Cisco 3640, Version 12.0(7)T,) from a remote pc using an isdn fritz card it only uses one of the to available B channels.
We use tacacs+ and i have included the "maximum links 2" on the entry for the user.

I have tested the isdn card with a cisco 800 with ppp multilink activated and everything goes allright so i assume that the line, tacacs and the access router are working fine...

am i missing something really big here???

Please i need some help, i am stuck on this

Hello.

question 1)
The Cisco 800 connect with 2 channels to the 3640 ?.

question 2)
The ISDN Fritz card will only connect with one channel
to the 3640, the Fritz card is using the same
ISDN line as the Cisco 800?

If the answer is YES to both, then you will need
to run DEBUG on the 3640 to see if the ISDN Fritz card
is trying to bring up the second B channel and if that
request is received by the 3640.

On the 3640 , you can run "debug isdn q931" and
"debug isdn q921" and "debug isdn events".
make sure you turn "off" debugs after you are done by
using IOS command "undebug all".

Also, if you are telented to the 3640 , make sure
you issue IOS command "term mon".

Always capture screen output.

thanks
cbum

Hello cbum,
Thank you for helping me with this...

-Yes, the 800 uses both channels and the same line that the fritz is using, that's why i'm sure the line is ok.

-Yes, the fritz card can connect to the 3640 using just one channel.
-I tested the config of the card with a different
isp and it works just fine (using both channels)

This is the result of the debug session, There you can see there is no problem with the first channel and how it refusses connection to the second one.

1y3w: ISDN Se0/0:15: CALL_PROGRESS: CALL_CONNECTED call id 0x6CF1, bchan -1, dsl 0
1y3w: %LINEPROTO-5-UPDOWN: Line protocol on Interface Serial0/0:7, changed state to up
1y3w: %ISDN-6-CONNECT: Interface Serial0/0:7 is now connected to 69750860 multiuser1

1y3w: %ISDN-6-CONNECT: Interface Serial0/0:7 is now connected to 69750860 multiuser1
1y3w: ISDN Se0/0:15: CALL_PROGRESS: CALL_CONNECTED call id 0x6CF2, bchan -1, dsl 0
1y3w: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/0:29, changed state to up

1y3w: %ISDN-6-DISCONNECT: Interface Serial0/0:29 disconnected from 69750860 multiuser1, call lasted 2 seconds
1y3w: %LINK-3-UPDOWN: Interface Serial0/0:29, changed state to down

It just doesn't make any sense to me and i run out of ideas
so any tip about what is going on will be apreciated.

Thank you again for your interest...

milikk

Hello.

Debug's didnt show anything helpfull.

Are you using the same Username and Password
when testing with 800 and the Fritz card ?.

Also, lets take another approach.
Run "debug ppp negotiation", "debug ppp authentication"
"debug ppp error" and "debug PPP multilink" .
This is a lot of debugs and may cause the Cisco 3640 to slow down ( so do it when the Cisco 3640 is not busy with active calls).

cbum

Hello cbum,

-YES, i'm using the same u/p, for the router and the fritz, that's why i assume that the problem is not on the tacacs+ config.

The problem is that separately, either the fritz card and the access router are working just as expected, but for some reason they don't like each other...

i have no experience with fritz cards dialing into access routers (i always do router to router connections) so maybe there is something that i'm missing????

thank you again

Hello,
Yes, the problem sounds like a Fritz card problem.
The reason I asked for a Debug of "ppp" was to find out if it was Multilink PPP compatibility ( or Fritz setup) issue between the Cisco and the Fritz card.

cbum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back