Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISDN Dropping Half of Ping attempts

Status
Not open for further replies.

pdecker

Technical User
Jun 16, 2003
US
Currently my set up is two routers (A and B), each connected to an ISDN line, and each with its own network. T

Router A dials Router B, connects, and data can transfer between the two networks (A and B). For some reason though, when I ping router B's network from router A's network, half of the ping attempts time out. So it alternates and looks like

Reply from trivial.network.ip.address : bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=48
Request timed out.
Reply from trivial.network.ip.address : bytes=32 time=10ms TTL=48
Request timed out.

Any ideas as to why this is occuring? any ideas as to how to fix it? The whole setup is for experimental purposes so the two ISDN lines are right next to each other in the same room . Thanks,

looks like load balancing!!! what does a trace route show?

“Reserve your right to think, for even to think wrongly is better than not to think at all”

Fisher CCNA, Network+
[americanflag]

This is the trace route from a workstation in network A to the ISDN BRI interface in router B across the ISDN connection:

10.16.10.153 is router A's fastethernet connection to network A.
172.17.20.2 is router B's BRI interface to the ISDN line.

Tracing route to 172.17.20.2 over a maximum of 30 hops

1 <10 ms <10 ms <10 ms 10.16.10.153
2 * 30 ms * 172.17.20.2
3 * 30 ms * 172.17.20.2
4 * 30 ms * 172.17.20.2
5 30 ms * 30 ms 172.17.20.2

Trace complete.

I dont realy know how to read these results, never really used trace route before. If it is load balancing, what would I do to correct the problem, or where could I find information on load balancing? Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back