Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISDN Connects one way but not the other

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sigocpt

Technical User
Jul 3, 2001
US
I have an ISDN backup for a T-1 from an office in Madison to an office in St. Paul, MN. I can connect from St. Paul to Madison over the ISDN line but when I try to connect from Madison to St. Paul, I get an error message of not end-to-end ISDN. The St. Paul router does not even receive the call.

I have changed routers at both ends, to no avail. I have force dialed othe long distance providers with the same results.

The engineer at our long distance provider says it is either the my routers on either end (not likely since I tried different equipment on both ends) or our local loop provider.

He says that even though we can connect one way doesn't mean a thing. Placing an ISDN call is not the same as recieving an ISDN call, according to him.

I say that there are static routes programmed into the ISDN switches and the call is routed to the Madison office over a pure ISDN network and out of the Madison office on a non-pure ISDN network.

Anyone have any suggestions or solutions?

Robert

Are the SPIDS on the far end correct. Does you provider show the circuit active? Do you have a telephone connection on the router to break dial tone? What type of equipment is at both ends? Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

I have Cisco routers at both ends. One has the ISDN BRI network module and the other uses a NT-1 module.

The SPIDs are correct. Both sides of the line are established to layer 3.

There is no telephone or any other device on the lines, other than the routers.

Sigocpt post your running-config (leave numbers out)

From Madison I would access both spids via a 2500 set and dial St. Paul. I bet is is a long distance issue. TRy local and long distance calls and go from there. Jeter@LasVegas.com
J.Fisher CCNA

Not knowing the exact locations of Madison or St. Paul, here's what I suspect: (a) Check to see if Madison's BRI/ISDN service is set up for ciruit switched data. It could only be set up for ckt switched voice. Therefore, when Madison launches a call, the LEC is trying to launch a voice call to St. Paul (not at data call). (b) If there is a long distance provider that you are routing over, find out how these ckts are setup in their database as ckt switched voice and data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back