Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISDN Backup

Status
Not open for further replies.

MelchiorKD

IS-IT--Management
Sep 19, 2001
US
HP Openview 6.2 on Windows 2000 Platform. I have ISDN as a backup solution to primary WAN lines. It the ISDN interface is managed on the routers, openview sees the interface as "down", when in reality it is in "standby" mode. How do I monitor the activity of the ISDN backup lines. I would like to set it up so that I am notified when the backup comes up when the primary interface goes down. I am currently doing this with Openview 6.1 on Solaris, but can't get it working on Windows. On the Solaris box it is done by monitoring the main serial interface (D Channel) on the main Cisco router (Serial 9/0:23). I tried this on Windows, but nothing happens. Any ideas. HP has been no help.

Hi there, in what kind of router do you have the ISDN interface MelchiorKD?
BTW, there are a couple of solutions for it, first, to make sure you are getting the correct status of the interface, try an snmpget of the interfaces status and check that output.

For monitoring purposes, everytime I come up with strange behavior under HP-OV or NNM, I consider it is advisable to make a script, getting the IFOperStatus via SNMP and then sending an "opcmsg" to the Message Browser, something like:
snmpget router-with-ISDN-interface 1.3.6.1.2.1.2.2.1.8.56 (where 56 is the IFIndex of the router) and then perform a grep or FIND under W2K of "standby" or "up" or whatever, here comes the "if" part, and then "IF" changes, do the following:
opcmsg n=node o=SNMP s=critical...etc....'til msg_text="ISDN interface is UP" or something like that...

Hope this helps, or just tell us the router model and let's make sure you have the proper MIB´s for it, ok?

Best regards,
vlan52
[sunshine]

The core router is a Cisco 7513, the remore routers are cisco 4000's, 3600's, 2500's and 7000'2.

melchiorkd

You can just put a symbol 'd' behind the sysobjectID of your router in the file 'oid_to_type'.

So all dormant interfaces will be in 'HPOV testing mode' when they are in oper dormant state.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back