Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISDN and ringtone

Status
Not open for further replies.

kamit

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2002
US
Several months ago, my company upgraded from a standard T1 to one with PRI. Provisioning placed the new circuit on a 5ess switch. Since the cut, on inbound calls over the T1, there is no ringtone heard by the caller. When I test it, after pressing the last digit, there is approximately 8 seconds of silence before the auto attendant on our ACD picks up.

The telco, AT&T states that the 5ess switch the circuit is on can't produce the ringtone, and my phone supplier, states the Norstar doesn't generate it either.

Can someone please help. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to the phone system. I know some of the basics, but thats it.

Can the 5ess generate the ringtone?
Is there something on the norstar that could be wrong? - I have seen a couple of posts on this subject, but really no helpful info.

Thanks,

I don't know about your telco, but your Norstar supplier is correct.
What type of ACD are you running? Cintech?
On T1 and I think PRI,the incoming digits in the DNIS/DID configuration of the Cintech Prelude and Symphony ACD cannot be assigned to any target line in the Norstar as a RECD #, or no ring tone will be heard. The digits can only appear in the DNIS/DID table and nowhere else. Unfortunately, I can't be sure if it is a problem with all different types of switches.

I've never done PRI with Norstar, but 'in general' the destination PBX is supposed to provide the ringback. (i.e. when my CLEC sets up a call on my PRI to my Legend, they mutually pick a channel for the call on the PRI, and the Legend plays the ringing tone until the call is answered or rolls to voicemail).

There should be some card in the Norstar that can provide ringing on the PRI... hopefully someone who has set it up on a Norstar can shed some light...

SAMETHING, I'VE GOT ISDN-PRI CKT'S WORKING JUST FINE THE NORSTAR GIVES BACK THE RINGBACK TONE. SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING IN THE ACD APP OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

Okay, so technically the Norstar is a 'hybrid' but it's functioning as a PBX if it isn't configured 'square'. I have yet to see a piece of telecom equipment with PRI configured as 'square', but there might be some out there. Technically, the Legend isn't a PBX either, but is configured as such.

To restate, in my experience, if the 'end point device' is connected via PRI, then the end point device provides ringback. The network generally provides intercept or busy, but if the caller is going to hear ringing, that's provided by the 'destination' equipment, whatever it may be.

One of the advantages of PRI is that in the D-Channel message, the command "RING", or some variation is sent from the PBX to tell the CO the call is going through. The advantage of this is that PBX resources aren't used to generate simple ringback. The channel technically isn't connected until a CONNECT_ACK message is received.

Because of this, it is the CO's responsibility and capability to provide that tone to callers since the B-Channel isn't opened yet.

This is not a function of the ACD setup UNLESS (disclaimer) there is a delay on all calls into that ACD group, even from copper backup lines. Perhaps the PBX is answering right at the first ring, but the ACD is taking a few seconds to process PBX Data before responding. If that is the case, it would happen on COT's as well (copper trunks). If this is not the case, its a PRI issue most likely caused by the CO.

Hope this helps...

Kris

Kris:
Is this protocol version dependant? The reason I ask is that on some PBX's, the ringback provided isn't 'standard'. For example, when calling a PRI DID that terminates in a Mitel or Ericsson box, the caller hear's the 'double ring' that is standard in Europe, hence it is provided by the destination equipment. I know that in cases where the destination extension is busy (and doesn't roll to voicemail, etc), or is 'invalid', then it is all d-channel messaging and the 'sending' equipment provides call progress tones.

If Perry is right (above post), in what way has the ACD been configured to answer incoming calls?

PhM

The ACD is configured as follows:

All configured lines (including the T1) are routed to Group 4 which is the auto attendant.

There was also, dnis routing to Group 4. I removed the dnis routing, and still get no ring on the T1.

Kamit,
I should have asked what kind of ACD you are working with.

PhM

YOUR RINGBACK COMES FROM THE PHONE RINGING, IF YOU HAVE RINGBACK ON SITE WHEN YOU MAKE A CALL STATION TO STATION CALL TEHN YOU SHOULD HAVE IT ON THE ISDN-PRI WHEN YOU CALL A EXTENSION. WHAT TYPE OF T1 IS THIS 800 SERVICE OR LOCAL IF LOCAL YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO DIAL AN EXTENSION IF 800 HAVE YOUR VENDOR PUMP YOU A DNIS DIGIT THAT MATCHES A EXTENSION AND SEE IF YOU GET RINGBACK OLD ROLMEN WORKING ON NORTELS

The ACD is a Cintech Cinphony II.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back