Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISCSI Multiple Initiators

Status
Not open for further replies.

mi24k

MIS
Jul 27, 2001
I have 2 Windows 2003 boxes. Each has an ISCSI connection to a LUN or ISCSI device. When server1 creates a folder on the ISCSI drive server2 cannot see this folder and vice versa. Am I doing something wrong, how am I to accomplish this? I need to be able to share information across these servers.
Your help is appreciated...

I have tried this with 2 types of ISCSI devices, a NETAPP and SNAPSERVERS, neither work!

iSCSI is a block based protocol, you can't simultainiously connt to an NTFS LUN from two hosts or you'll corrupt it. iSCSI multipathing provides multiple paths from one host to a given LUN and a choice of load balancing policies. If you want to access the LUN from multiple hosts, you'll probably want a file based access protocol like CIFS that implements oplocks.

I have to disagree on xmsre, how about quorum luns for an mscs ? These are SHARED luns , and accessible by both hosts.So it is certainly possible to create shared luns, instead of dedicated luns ...On netapp material , this can be done through the snapdrive software.

rgds,

R.

Thanks, I guess I have another issue is that I am not using win2k3 Enterprise or Datacenter....I do not have mscs available on Standard....any other ideas?

TWO HOSTS DON'T ACCESS A QUORUM SIMULTAINIOUSLY. The clusdisk driver implements the scsi reserve command to give exclusive access to one host or the other.

For Netapp, a shared lun really deals with the way the igroups are configured, not the mechanism that controls which hosts accesses the LUN when. On an MSCS tratitional quorum cluster, it's still clusdisk and scsi reservations that control which host has exclusive acces to the disk at any give time.

John Fullbright

I am trying out the SANBBOLIC Melio FS, to see if can do what I want it to, will post my results...thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back