Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isass.exe. With XP Pro & McAfee

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanetteM

Technical User
Aug 23, 2002
CA
When I start up; McAfee informs me that a program is trying to access the internet. It is the Isass.exe program.
Im running XP Pro.
What I want to know is wether or not I should allow it to access.
So far Ive always said NO. It is becoming irritating though having that warning every start up.
I have done some reading on the Isass but it is a bit confusing to me. It appears it can be vulnerable to viruses? It also appears that it can cause some problems with the XP system in general. But is needed?

I have full updates for windows as well as the McAfee.
Have also cleaned all spyware, viruses, as well as the registry with jv16. I believe its very clean here!

So back to the original question.........Is it ok to let the Isass.exe access the internet ????

Thanx in advance !

For all your virtual administrative needs visit

Thats a good question.
Kinda hard to say. It comes up lookin like a straight vertical line.
Any idea how I could tell for sure.
BTW...when i check the properties of the file trying to make the access it says it is a microsoft product. But wether or not I can trust that is hard to say. Its in the c system32 if that helps.

I just restarted to get some more info.
I hope it will help.
My wife though does believe that it is a lower case L.

What McAfee shows is, and there are 2 of them:

Name: LSA Shell (Export Version)
Path: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\lsass.exe
and its trying to bind to port 500

The other is:

Name: Generic Host Process for Win32 Services
Path: C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\svchost.exe

Both files were created today.
We have recently moved and havent had internet for almost a month until today.
The first thing i did was update McAfee, then XP(got service pack 2. Then scanned the whole system and cleaned everything out.

Hope that info can help to help me.

C\winnt? is this an upgrade from 2000?

I assume you have Lsass.exe which is the Windows file. It is easy enough to use Search and see if that turns up anything under Isass.

If you don't allow Svchost.exe an Internet connection then you wont have much luck surfing as you wont have any access to the Internet (you shouldn't allow SvcHost.exe unrestricted access to the net, use a rule that allows partial access if your firewall is that configurable).
You need to allow Svchost.exe access to the Internet, but don't allow it to act as a Server.

A Description of Svchost.exe (Q314056)

Lsass.exe should not need access to the Internet on a StandAlone machine.

Yes it is an upgrade.
So, seeing as I have been saying no to the prompt from McAfee, and am still able to access the internet and surf; then it should be ok to check no and the "apply this everytime" box to stop the prompting. ?

Thanx much for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back