Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

isam files on nt server

Status
Not open for further replies.

carguy

Programmer
Apr 10, 2001
US
hi everybody....
i got a question maybe some of you have experienced....
we are setting up a nt 2000 server network and trying to access our isam database with a cobol programs (selecting data) on one pc which works fine....as soon as we start the second pc (same program ,same database) it all comes to a screeching , grinding pace..... my question being is there some sort of package out there that will help me share and process with greater speed...or some setting im missing on the server..will be working with about sixty users eventually.... thanks in advance for your help....carguy

Ok, carguy! Need more info on your problem..

1. What OS's are your workstations using Dos, Win98, etc.

2. Are you running your programs on your workstations and pathing to your server? ie F:\isam or \\server1\c\isam.

3. Are your running any type of Anti-virus programs. If so, disable on workstation and server and try your test again.

4. I need more on your hardware and software configuration to even begin to help you.

hi rasi...
as far as workstations...we are currently using winnt 4.0 and win2k. no anti-virus running on test stations....we are mapped to the server..ex: "f: is \\ufcwdc1\sys1..etc...cobol isam files...programs are running on the work station from the server...dos environment is set at 4096..also tried 8192 on test stations...also tried caching on server settings...first test machine run very fast ,but as soon as we start second machine it all slows to a crawl...files are shared on server...etc..all out of ideas!!!! thanks again for your reply........carguy....
im at zootera@aol.com.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back