Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isa sound card not found on win 95

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmurfyUK

Technical User
Nov 28, 2002
GB
Sound card is installed but when windows boots it detects PnP sound chip 4 times and puts each entry in "unknown devices" with the yellow explination mark in device manager.
The chip on the sound card says asl 100. So I went to avance webby and downloaded the drivers for a asl 100.
Run setup and removed the "pnp sound chip" from other devices.
Rebooted and the pc still wont reconise it, just does the same saying new hardware found and adds 4 entrys to the unknown devices.

Can anyone help?

Try it in a different ISA slot if you have one. Make sure ISA Plug and Play Bus is listed in Device Mangler>>System devices, if not, add it in Add New Hardware. (I had that problem once). I assume you don't have onboard sound, too. If you do, disable it. Go in Safe mode and remove everything in Device managler for the sound and re-start. Please come back and let us know if your
problem is fixed and what fixed it!! [thumbsup2]

Howdy:

To my knowledge, ISA is NOT Plug and Play comaptible..

If you still have the drivers downloaded, go into Device Manager.. Hightlight one of the devices showing the exclamation mark and pick "Properties"..

Now, use the Update or Install Driver command.. Point the driver search to wherever it is you downloaded it to.

Murray

Probably right SesaskDFC, Although I seem to remember a Maxlink ISA Modem I had that could be jumpered to PNP. Could be wrong of course, I don't recall it all that much, I wanted it on COM2, so that's where I put it!!! :)

I know this is a suprise to you younger gents- but if it ain't PNP there will probably be README.txt's to read, SET statements in the autoexec, DEVICES in the Config sys. jumpers to set right

Have fun!!! [2thumbsup]

-Bruce

Some, only a few I think, late ISA cards were PnP. I recently installes an Aztech ISA sound card that was and I have also run across modems. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

Sorted!

I took all the Pnp sound chip entry’s out again.
When windows came up saying unknown device pnp sound chip. I pointed it to the latest driver disk I had and it recognized 2 of the entry’s. Wav device and joystick.
It put the other 2 pnp sound chips back in other devices so I removed them.
Rebooted and it came up with pnp sound chip again. I pointed it again to the floppy and it found that entry. (Internal midi) it put the other one back in other devices.
So I took that one out and rebooted and it found that last entry.
I did originally start with a different set of drivers which had made and entry in autoexec.
I removed all the entry’s for both sets of drivers in there and reinstalled the 2nd set of drivers.

Thanks for the reply’s, it looked like I was doing things right. I think maybe it was a combination of 1 set of drivers conflicting with the other.

I am not sure though why it didnt load all of them in 1 hit rather than having to reboot 3 times. Not that that really matters as it got there in the end.

Howdy:

I figured you were going to have to manually install the drivers.. Most ISA's are like that.

Glad you got it going..

Murray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back