Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA Server Track user internet usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

tosl

MIS
Jan 15, 2002
CA
Can I monitor and track user internet usage? For example I want to find out how much time the user is on the internet and what sites are being visited.
If you have the instructions on how to do this, and how to use it, please tell me how.

Thank you for your help.

You can turn on logging in Monitoring Configuration: Logs. The simplest is to a text file. This could then be imported on a daily basis into Access or somesuch for querying.

We've set up logging to a Postgres server running on a Linux box. This way it's easier to get 'real-time' information. The big trick to getting this to work is ISA doesn't seem to like to log to any database other than a Microsoft product. So what I did was to create an Access database with table links to the Postgres server. This seems to work quite well. "The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

I have that and used to use it. It gives a quick snapshot of the last hundred or so accesses. In our environment, the last few seconds or at most minutes of activity. Since we got the logging pointed to the database I quit using it, but I would recommend it for it's simplicity and quick response. "The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

Howzit!

I have a similar problem but it is my remote users on the weekend, so real time doesn't help....

I am logging all fields and generating a daily report but it doesn't tell me which user went to which site.

Is it the way I have set up the report or am i missing something in the ISA config?

Any help with my ongoing struggle for complete control over the users and ultimately the universe would be appreciated.

Have a chilled day.

Hi

You can see who went were by examining the ISA logs - these will be in c:\program files\ isa server\ isa logs - theres loads of information in these - should be enough for most queries. I have found the internal reporting to be pretty lame actually...

cheers

Aaron

PhilFairlane:

The ISA web log includes the source IP address and the user domain name, that's your who's accessing a web page.

It also includes the web site (domain name) as well as the whole url. So take a closer look, you should be able to see exactly who is going where. "The Key, The Whole Key, and Nothing But The Key, So Help Me Codd!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back