Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA/PC104 designer’s guide 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

lardyboy

Technical User
Apr 19, 2004
GB
We have a single board computer (Netcom) which connects to our system via a PC104 interface. The system is hanging at bootup, not even displaying error messages, when our board is connected; having used a freeware utility, it seems our board is conflicting with the memory space of the video card. We are obviously going to move the address space to an unused area.

We have the PC104 specification from the PCI consortium and it refers to the electrical specs of ISA.

What I am looking for is a hardware designer’s guide that gives specifics of how we can allocate a memory block to our board so we can read and write to it as if it were memory. The interface is straight to an Altera Cyclone FPGA, so we can pretty much do what we like with timings etc.

I am sure lots of books and articles refer to the process in vague terms, but we obviously need very specific and detailed information. We want a memory block from say #D0000 to #D0100. How do we convince the bios (?) to allocate it to us? Or indeed is there any need to do that?

I don’t even know what I don’t know about this, so any help would be appreciated.

Go into the BIOS "shadow" menu. Disabling the shadow in the memory range that interests you will allow accesses to the ISA-bus at this range. IF the shadow is not disabled, the system will map this memory space into the system DRAM and nothing will happen on your board.
Felix

Thanks, that’s a good point. It was supposed to have been checked, but I should see for myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back