Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA Internet keeps on going down!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olimits7

Technical User
Feb 17, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm having a problem with ISA server. I set up ISA server and everything was working fine there was internet, and I could see all sessions open through the ISA server. But the next day I come into work and all internet is down on all clients. So I first try to troubleshoot ISA, no luck. I then reboot the ISA machine and Internet works on all clients again. Then 30 minutes later all internet is back down again. Can someone please help me with this issue? It's driving me nuts!!

Here is some info on errors that occurred to see if it helps you out. I looked under event viewer to see what errors were there and all I see are a SMTPSVC error (Event ID: 115), and a WuSyncService warning (Event ID: 107).

There were more errors but they were from 2 days ago before the problems started. But I'll still list them just incase: W32Time warning (Event ID: 54 & 64), Server Error (Event ID: 2504).

Under ISA Management Alerts, the only alert that was listed was a "Configuration Error" alert.

If you need anymore info please let me know.
Thank you for your help,
DaliSalv22

Dude, make sure you check all three segment in the Event viewer.

There you might find the real problem. Quite possibly the infamous "The ISA Server services cannot create a packet filter. This event occurs when there is a conflict between the Local Address Table (LAT) configuration and the Windows 2000 routing table. Check the routing table and the LAT to find the source of the conflict."

If this is it, you might be able to take care of this pronto.

Good luck,

Take care of your name resolution scheme, i had that problem as well.

Polke, could you elaborate a little more on your response? I'm having a very similar problem. I've recently installed ISA 2k in Integrated Mode. My Internet is very unstable. It will slow to a crawl and then finally go down. I'm having to restart my services almost every hour. It appears that if I turn off my Firewall service the Internet will stay up and be more stable. Any more info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I had a similar problem with the ISA server locking up, but coming alive again if the external NIC was unplugged. 20 minutes later it repeated itself.

Turned out to be MSBlaster.....might be worth a look.

Regards

I ran into this once. It turned out to be a routing issue. I ran ISA server in a two nic configuration and in integrated mode. What happened was that the server lost track of how to route internet traffice because it would go through the LAN first then somehow find its way back to the second nic in the server. My suggestion is to run a trace route and see where your traffic is really going.

The bottle neck was a broadcast storm in the ISA server trying to send information to the second nic. This is why when you unplug the nic or a DSL modem everything is cool until traffic starts to accumulate. Other than making adjustments to my router i also had to add a static route on the isa server itself. Once this was done all my problems went away.

I had this problem where the Internet kept dropping after 30 - 60 minutes. It was caused because my ISA server was configured to block DHCP client requests.

I connected to my ISP's network using DHCP. Meaning I connected directly to their network but they assigned me an IP address dynamically. Each time my ISA server booted up the IP address was obtained and the Internet worked. However a DHCP server needs to refresh all its clients regularly to mainrain the addresses. Since my ISA server was blocking the DHCP refresh packets from the ISP's server, my dynamic address would expire after 30 mins, and there the Internet would drop.

Check how you obatin the IP address from your ISP. If you have a static address then this will not be a solution to your problem. If it is dynamic then enable the "DHCP Client" Protocol Rule in ISA management.

Good Luck

I have an ISA server setup as firewall and webproxy also. every few days and usually mondays the server stops and it needs to be restarted again. I look in event viewr but haven't found anythin yet. any ideas what's causing this and how I can resolve it.

Thanks,

this may not be much help, but my poroblem was very similar to all of those mentioned above, it turned out to be a virus that was killing the RPC service on the server, hence the connection.
may be worth a look.
cheers
Colin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back