Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISa firewall and a layer 3 switch Extreme

Status
Not open for further replies.

GigaG

Technical User
Aug 28, 2007
US
I have a DNS server and 2 webservers I would like to VLAN off into a layer 3 Extreme switch and vlan another subnet for the workstations. In doing this I thought that the switch would need to be the DG for each vlan doing routing between each other. The other thing is that I am using an ISA firewall which I am guessing wants to be the DG.... but when I set up the workstations to use the switch as default... I can ping everything, but can't get out to the internet.... HELP?

MCP ACA-I CTP

Hello GigaG:

I am having an extremely similar problem. Here's the setup:

SBS 2003 R2 Prem w/ ISA 2004 SP3 as EDGE Firewall. The server has 2 NICs, one connected to the Internet, the other is VLANed into 4 adapters: VLAN 10: Wired Clients, VLAN 20: Wireless Clients, VLAN 30: VPN Clients, and VLAN 40: VoIP. All these VLANs are trunked (tagged) to my internal NIC and to a port on the switch--which is a memeber of all 4 VLANs. The VLANs each have some other ports assigned to them on the switch (DELL PowerEdge 5324, which is 802.1q compliant).

Like you, I can ping every single internal network, however, I am unable to get to anything on the Internet. Even weirder, I can get to 'companyweb' the default SBS sharepoint site, but I am unable to get to my WSS3 site at located on the same server (so apparently, I can't resolve things in my own IIS server).

I've narrowed it down to these possibilities: 1) Firewall Access Policies (or Network objects or something) are not configured correctly; 2) System Policies on ISA are not configured correctly; 3) Something is not right with DNS, or 4) 2 & 3 together or all the above!

If anyone else could shed some light on this, it would be greatly appreciated!!

Craig E. Shea
IT Coordinator
TTEC

Looks like it's more of a DNS issue. Since you can ping everything, you just can't go to for instance. Check your DNS configuration. I'm having to do the same exact thing. I'll write more when I know more.

Craig E. Shea
IT Coordinator
TTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back