Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Isa 2004 on a DC

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanropp

IS-IT--Management
Jun 27, 2001
US
My branch office only has one 2003 server acting as a domain controller. I want to install isa 2004 on it and setup a vpn point to point connection. When I install it on the DC, it always fails on additional components and removes itself. I can't figure out for the life of me why it keeps failing. I was wondering if it was b/c it won't install on a DC. Anyone have any suggestions on this one?

Thanks,

Ryan

Hi, its no a problem install an ISA in a DC i'm going to search about it,

check the event viewer for some help. and send me the errors.

coco10

But why on earth are you installing ISA Server onto a DC at all?

Cheers
Knutern

It might be a small organisation who can't afford to have separate servers (hardware costs, Windows Licenses etc). Remember Microsoft software isn't cheap......

Andy

No offence, but IMHO: Cheap or not, saving money on the cause of security is not something you should do. In the end, it will cost you more when disaster has struck. And that should be made clear to management. Even my CEO did understand that having a firewall on a domain controller was "rather" risky.

If money is an issue, then i'd go for some kind of appliance, like this one from Symantec Symantec Gateway Security 460r Appliance W/ 50-Session C2g Vpn Lic + 8.0 Media It's priced at $1,299.00

Speaking of not being cheap: Cisco ASA 5000 for example with 150 VPN clients cost some $4,000.00 and there's no support whatsoever included. If Cisco discovers some major bugs, you will not have access to fix unless you pay, contrary to Microsoft. And, with ISA 2004 you practically do not have such a limit. Pay some $2,400 for ISA 2004 and W2K3 R2 (with 5 CALs) and there you go.

What I want to say is: Security is expensive, but it is even expensier not to have proper security in place. And a CEO should not need to have this explained nowadays.

Cheers
Knutern

But what does "b/c" stand for ryanropp? And, any error messages other than the installation failing?

Cheers
Knutern

Thanks for the replies and b/c is short for because :)..I get no message back when it fails. Simply get a red x next to additional objects during install and then it gets removed. I looked around on the web and found that some people had stated it was a problem when it installs msde. So I decided to install it manually and see what happens. After doing that, still had the same problem. I checked the log in windows and here are the entries created at the same time it failed:

"-199 Executing "C:\Documents and Settings\Gator\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dasetup.exe" with command line: /Q /N
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [DefaultInstall] when calculating disk space in "C:\Documents and Settings\Gator\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\noop.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
[2006/03/02 17:28:50 6272.13]
#-198 Command line processed: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
#-024 Copying file "C:\DOCUME~1\Gator\LOCALS~1\Temp\ICD1.tmp\LegitCheckControl.DLL" to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\LegitCheckControl.DLL".
#W361 An unsigned, incorrectly signed, or Authenticode(tm) signed file "C:\DOCUME~1\Gator\LOCALS~1\Temp\ICD1.tmp\LegitCheckControl.DLL" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 0x800b0110: The certificate is not valid for the requested usage.
[2006/03/02 17:28:51 6272.14]
#-198 Command line processed: "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"
#-024 Copying file "C:\DOCUME~1\Gator\LOCALS~1\Temp\ICD1.tmp\LegitCheckControl.inf" to "C:\WINDOWS\Downloaded Program Files\LegitCheckControl.inf".
#W361 An unsigned, incorrectly signed, or Authenticode(tm) signed file "C:\DOCUME~1\Gator\LOCALS~1\Temp\ICD1.tmp\LegitCheckControl.inf" will be installed (Policy=Ignore). Error 87: The parameter is incorrect.
[2006/03/02 17:29:17 7188.1]
#-198 Command line processed: C:\DOCUME~1\Gator\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dasetup.exe
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [DefaultInstall] when calculating disk space in "C:\DOCUME~1\Gator\LOCALS~1\Temp\IXP000.TMP\noop.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF.
[2006/03/02 17:32:04 6412.1]
#-199 Executing "C:\Documents and Settings\Gator\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\dasetup.exe" with command line: /Q /N
#E077 Could not locate a non-empty section [DefaultInstall] when calculating disk space in "C:\Documents and Settings\Gator\Local Settings\Temp\IXP000.TMP\noop.inf". Error 0xe0000102: The required line was not found in the INF"

I have 4gb's of disk space free on the installation directory.

Hope this sheds some light for you guys.

Thanks,
Ryan

Just a quick thought: any antivirus running while you're trying to install? I've never had much problems my self, but then again, we're running Symantec AV Corp. ed.

Cheers
Knutern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back