Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ISA 2004 & VLANs - No Internet Access

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourpastmidnight

Programmer
Jan 7, 2002
US
I have a SBS2003 R2 Prem. server with ISA 2004 SP3 installed. In addition, I have installed Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 side-by-side with the SharePoint Services 2.0 that comes with SBS.

My server has 2 NICs. One is connected directly to my DSL modem (we have a static address here and the NIC is configured with the address and the ISPs Primary and Secondary DNS servers and the ISP DG).

When I originally setup the server, the second NIC was given a /24 address. Everything was working. I could browse just fine. I could also browse just fine, as well as the internet.
BTW, the second NIC is connected to a Dell PowerConnect 5324 1G managed switch that supports 802.1q.

We will be installing a VoIP phone system (VoIP will be internal only, external will still be POTS). Also I would like wireless clients (no more than 5, most likely) to be authenticated via 802.1x. So, I decided to create 4 VLANs: wired clients, wireless clients, VPN clients, and the VoIP PBX system.

I VLANed the internal NIC into VLANs 10, 20, 30, and 40, respective to the list above. All these VLAN's are trunked (tagged) to port 7 of my switch (which also has tagging enabled and is a member of all 4 VLANs). The switch has been configured such that the proper ports are assigned to their VLANs.

I assigned each VLAN NIC the following addresses (these aren't real, but are similar to what I really have in my environment): 192.168.21.0, 192.168.22.0, 192.168.23.0, and 192.168.24.0. Each NIC's DNS and DG were left blank except for 192.168.21.0, which was the original address assigned to the internal NIC. I created one DHCP scope for each network and I also created a Superscope (not sure if it was necessary, but I saw it online somewhere). Clients are receiving an IP address from the correct DHCP scope associated with their VLAN.

Routing and Remote Access has the proper routes listed in the routing table. In fact, I can ping every single network from the command line. However, I am unable to browse any internet sites. I can still access but I am unable to browse on the IIS server.

I'm not sure whether I am missing Firewall Access Policies, System Access Policies, or even something wrong with DNS. Can anyone give me a hand? I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

Craig E. Shea
IT Coordinator
TTEC

Ok, after doing a bit more research, looks like I may be in the wrong forum for this. Since ISA works primarily at OSI level 3 and above and VLANs are at Level 2, ISA doesn't care about VLANs, per se (at least, not in my configuration). Most likely, more than anything else, I have a routing and/or DNS issue.

While everything appears to route correctly, there is definitely something wrong with DNS.

Still, if anyone has had a similar experience and knows what needs to be done, I'd be grateful to learn from your experience.

Regards,

Craig E. Shea
IT Coordinator
TTEC

Well, everything was actually configured correctly in the end. I got all the hard stuff right (e.g. DHCP scopes, DNS, ISA, etc.), but because I have an existing network to deal with, spaghetti wired together with dumb hubs, I got the easy part wrong; some cables were connected into the wrong ports....doh!!!

Anway, if you follow my OP, you will successfully setup your VLANs. Just make sure your cables are all connected to the right ports in your switches/routers/hubs!

Regards,

Craig E. Shea
IT Coordinator
TTEC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back