Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is Win XP better than Win 2K

Status
Not open for further replies.

wsu374

MIS
Apr 9, 2003
US
I was wondering if for normal computer use, is XP that much better than Win2K that I should switch?

wsu374@yahoo.com

This all depends on what the primary purpose of your computer is going to be, AND who you ask. I am one that hated Windows XP when it first came out. With most of my clients that are purchasing new machiens it is coming standard and I have got use to it.

I will give Microsoft a little pat on the back for the Useability of Scanners and Digital Cameras. The interface/Wizard that they have now is nice for those that are not as familiar with a computer. Gives them more step-by-step assistance.

I also like the built-in capability that XP has for PPPoE users that have a DSL provider that uses PPPoE. I am one that HATES to install software such as a dial program that Verizon along with many of hte others give you. The dial-in program is nothing more than a memory/resource waste.

Windows XP is nice for networking in the way that it will automatically add shared network printers to the local PC que. As well as a shortcut to shared folders.

It also has a very colorful interface for those users that want PRETTY LOOKS over functionality. :)

Hope this give you food for thought.

If you are already running 2K changing to XP will not give you much more options. It does have a fancy interface (GUI) than 2K. If all of your hardware and software is working fine why play around. If you ever need to network you will need XP pro. XP home will not connect to a domain. Well it will but not in the proper way. I have been running both OS and functionality they work both pretty good. If you are purchasing a new machine get XP pro. An other piece of info don’t buy office 2k purchase Office XP. Or wait a short time and Office3000 will be in store soon. Office2k has some issues with windows2000. surprise surprise. If you have some money and want to play around I suggest purchase a rack system for your hard drives and set that up, install XP on a different hard drive and have fun playing.

Leon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back