Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is VSP turned on or off...no idea..causing problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

NBMike

Technical User
Apr 1, 2005
GB
Hi please can anyone help...NB5.1MP1 W2K3...got a client that has suddenly stopped backing up, backup jobs hang at the 'begin writing' stage. VSP is *apparently* disabled (via master server properties, client attributes tab), but when the backup is running there is a bpfis process that appears to hang and _vxfiVspCacheFile.tmp files are being created on the client. Which to me suggests VSP is still activated, and causing problems. How do I turn it off properly, and/or stop it causing backups to hang? I've tried stopping services, killing all the NB* processes, restarting, but to no avail.

TIA

M

The Option to shut off vsp is via the Host Props of your master server. Some win clients just don't like vsp. Be sure to delete the vsp cache files-that will continue to grow and eat up all your disk space.

The VSP files should delete themselves after the backup is done correct?

The VSP files should delete themselves after the backup is done correct?

...In theory yes :)

Bob Stump
Just because the VERITAS documentation states a certain thing does not make it a fact and thats the truth

> The Option to shut off vsp is via the Host Props of your master server

I know, according to that it is shut it off, but it's still being used, which is what's confusing me, and is why I posted the original question.

> The VSP files should delete themselves after the backup is done correct?

As Bob says, yes, in theory, and in this case, the VSP .tmp files are being deleted as expected (but they shouldn't be created in the first place if it's turned off...grrrr!).

...but I do have a number of other sites/servers where the VSP tmp files aren't being deleted and can't be deleted manually, the files are locked, but we get round that using process explorer, finding which process has the handle on that file, usually 'system', and closing the handle, which then lets us delete the file. This is having a huge impact on some of our critical data servers, which keep filling up.

VSP (or OTM on previous versions of NB) is rubbish, it's far more trouble than it's worth...I often find if we have a new problem with a backup that I've never come across before, turning off VSP/OTM usually resolves it....

M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back