Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is visual studio.net really good? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

R9772

Technical User
Aug 15, 2002
US
i am contemplating purchasing the vs.net and would appreciate anyone who has had experience using vs.net to let me know their thoughts on how good it is.

thanks.

Compared to the options it is very good. I have found a few annoying querks in that the wizards will occasionally try to do to much. However, if you are even considering doing some vb.Net asp.net or other supported .net production you money will be well invested. I have found that the program greatly helps me to do more faster and better.

I am sure that there are anti MS people out there that say it's crap but I find it very usefull.

HTH That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark
If you are unsure of forum etiquette check here faq796-2540

Glad I could help and thanks for un star. That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

If you buy Standard edition - it's not priced too bad - especially if you are only going to be developing in one language i.e. purchase VB .NET Standard and nothing else...

Craftor

:cool:

Borland C++ rocks.
Delphi rocks
Borland jbuilder ROCKS!

If you dont wanna waste your time, dont user VS.net, use the borland solution.

It supports linux, SUN .ONE and Microsoft .NET

Its much better...

F.

Very ethical of you Sean. If you are planning to sell your solution EVER. Then don't be stupid, if you get caught selling a product build with an illegal version of the compiler your screwed.

LinuXelite I knew that one of you would flame this thread. Thank you for your very convincing argument. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. However, even with your extremely helpful explanation of why Borland is better, or lack thereof IT IS STILL JUST AN OPINION! That'l do donkey, that'l do
[bravo] Mark

If you are determined to buy VB.NET get the book
Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Deluxe Learning Edition
isbn:0735616345
at about $83.99 from Amazon( or any other bookseller) its expensive for a book, but cheap as VB.net(standard edition) is thrown in free.

LOL - I've taken a look at Delphi 6 and am trying VERY hard to save up for the upgrade to Delphi 7 - which allegedly has .NET compatability. It wold be very interesting to see how this compares to .NET.

Personally I find .NET a lot more intuitive then Delphi (but I am primarily a VB developer which does account for quite a lot of bias there!). Nothing against Delphi at all ya hear!

Has anyone else got any thoughts on Delphi 7 vs .NET? Be interesting to find out.

Craftor

:cool:

I've never used Delphi, mostly VB and VFP, but I would think if Delphi 7 is built on .Net then its capabilities would be just like C# or VB.Net with different syntax. I would be interested to know if that is true or if its like Delphi 7, everything .Net plus all these extras.

I've also heard, although I don't know if its true, that there will be Cobol.Net, Pascal.Net and others.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back