Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is TIME a SCD or FCD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
This is for all pundits out there. I'm presently
involved in a datawarehouse design. one of the issue
of major debate, what we are facing is of TIME being
a slowest changing dimension(SCD) or fastest changing
dimension(FCD).
Any help on this matter will be highly appreciated.
and also if somebody can tell us what are the
exact implications of this.

Thanx

I'll probably get slammed for this, but I don't think it is either...Generally, changing dimensions are present when information becomes outdated, or the truth changes over time...Home Address is a slowly changing dimension, Customer_Type could also be a slowly changing dimension, whereas Customer_Status might change more frequently...

Time doesn't change...and Time is always a ragged hierarchy...Time1 = Days, Weeks, Years...Time2 = Days, Months, Quarters, Years....

You don't have to plan on information within your time dimension ever changing, if you do it right the first time...

I don't see any need for slamming - in fact I'd agree with you :)
The time dimension may grow when keys for new days / weeks / etc. are added, but once in there, a time dimension element doesn't change its values unless you restructure the dimension (e.g. to add quarterly reporting if not previously present).
This isn't the same as a customer dimension, where the name might alter without representing a different entity; this is a case of a SCD, and you would have to handle such changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back