Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this word appropriate? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thadeus

Technical User
Jan 16, 2002
US
If that revealed a critical stenosis of the carotid artery, it is possible that he would proceed emergently to the operating room to open the offending artery via a procedure called carotid endarterectomy.

I never heard of that one so I looked it up in Merriam-Webster. I guess they agree with the ancient Greeks: call a bowl a bowl.

MerriamWebster said:
emergent
One entry found for emergent.

Main Entry: 2emergent
Function: noun
1 : something emergent
2 a : a tree that rises above the surrounding forest b : an emergent plant

~Thadeus

There seems to be some special connotation of the meaning in the medical field and it is not just a simple synonym of urgently.

From your examples, it seems that it is routinely used mostly as medical term, and it suggests that a medical procedure done "emergently" is dictated by a more immediate and pressing need than the one that is done "urgently".

So here's the straight scoop from someone who's worked at a hospital for more than 20 years. I took notes as she spoke, so these are essentially her words.

An emergent condition is one where death will occur if the patient does not receive immediate intervention, for example:
• heart has stopped
• breathing has stopped
• profuse bleeding.

An urgent condition is one that, while possibly life-threatening, would not likely cause immediate death such as:
• chest pain
• compound fracture
• irreversible bronchospasms.

I would maintain that outside of the medical field or medical subjects, using emergently to mean urgently would be a grammatical error.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back