Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is This Virus Behavior ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bosah

MIS
Feb 9, 2001
CA
NB: There is no virus in this post. It was posted from a Linux machine that has no contact with the machine in question.

I have a dreadful problem with a Win2k Machine. It is an AMD 1800 with an ECS KS5SA. Win2k no service packs

When I download the Win2k Service pack 2 network install it is almost always corrupt.

I had huge stability problems with the installation climaxing with a corruption of the Administrator profile so I've been rebuilding the install. Omenously Nero (my cd rom burning software) said that the executable had been tamperred with after one boot. I have run 2 virus scanners on the machine and found nothing but an old word macro virus.

Can anyone speak to the stability of win2k without service packs or if they have had similar problems.

Much appreciated, BO

When you ran a virus scan, did you make sure to update the virus scanner online before doing a scan? A variant of the Klez worm is notorious for actually disabling Norton AV, so that even if you have updated anti-virus files, and do a scan, it will not catch Klez. Try going to and look up the instructions for finding out if you are indeed infected.

If Nero says it was modified, then indeed it would make me highly suspect that you have a virus.

Are you running two virus scanners at the same time? They could very well be conflicting with each other. Both Norton and NAI say not to run them simultaneously, and I can tell you that neither uninstalls cleanly.

if you are using only 1 anti-Virus , try to uninstall the ServicePack . and re-install it again !
I think there is something wrong in the procedure u did ,, may be the file itself !
Mohamed Farid
Know Me No Pain , No Me Know Pain !!!

Thanks everyone for their responses

To Respond:

1. Each virus scanner was uninstalled before the second one was run. They never existed together. They were up to date with their defn files.

2. I'll check the Klez worm tip, thanks.

The Situation

With the servicepack if I double clicked on it the pack does not finish the verification phase. It announces itself corrupt and will not run.

Once it did start but I had to stop it as I recalled backups I still wanted to do from the machine. When I tried to run it again, it announced itself corrupt.

It does the same if I try to run it with the /x switches.

The computer has an irregular bunch of files it can't read during the install both from the CDROM and the Service pack. Pressing return to 'retry' seems to work but I'm not used to as many pauses for bad files.

All the disks are NTFS on this machine. Has anyone had trouble with NTFS boot disks???

Have you tried running the Microsoft Installer Clean-Up Utility? I've actually found it to be quite useful when running into installation issues.

Have you cleanly uinstalled the Virus Scanners? I mean gone to the manufacturer's websites and followed their instructions for a manual software removal. I see day in and day out the side effects of incomplete software uninstallations. Many times it simply will not let you install the same software package on top of itself.

No issues with NTFS boot disks. The only time we didn't give clients NTFS boot partitions is on laptops running NT4, due to some hibernation issues.

For any who have given me advice or lurked on this one. It appears the machine's CD-Writer has failed. I'm betting most of the weirdness is just from bad files.

Will replace CDR tomorrow I don't think you'll hear from me again on this.

Thanks again for all the useful advice.

Bo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back