Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this video card defective?

Status
Not open for further replies.

milleron

Instructor
Jan 15, 2003
US
My Leadtek WinFast GF3 Ti200 works perfectly. When I try to upgrade the driver, though, I have a problem. Per the nearly universally recommended protocol, I switch the driver to Standard VGA (in Win98SE) and then delete the installed nVidia driver through Add/Remove Programs. On rebooting, the card should be detected as new hardware, and it is, but NOT as WHAT it actually is. Instead, Device Manager says that it's a "PCI video adapter" whereas it should read "WinFast Titanium 200." Because of this misrecognition, the new nVidia drivers refuse to install. I can get going again only by restoring the whole partition from a Drive Image backup. Obviously, my Dell XPS R450 (now with a Celeron 1.2GHz) recognized it correctly when it was first installed but no longer. Does this misrecognition of the Plug and Play video card indicate that the card itself is defective?
Ron

did you try slecting the cards properties and update drivers from there ?

Have you tried looking through the registry for and mention of the nvidia drivers.

Back up your registry - You MUST do this

Then delete any folder with Nvidia and any other entry with this in

Restart and Try installing it again

It may just be one entry that is messing up the install PC Setup:

XP2100 CPU
512MB 2100DDR
Geforce4 Ti4200 8xAGP
Abit K7X-333 MoBo
80GB Segate and 8GB Seagate and 20GB Quantum Harddrives
LG 12x CD-RW
C-Media 5.1 Surround Sound

I am Here to Help

irzyxel: yes, I update from the card's properties in Device Manager.

Frieon: Thanks, but I have run Detonator Destroyer and deleted the nVidia keys -- no help with the installation, and I don't think that would have much to do with Windows Plug and Play's failure to properly identify the hardware. If you think it would, then I might go back and try it again. Let me know.
Thanks again
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back