Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this SQL Injection or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattpont

Programmer
Jan 31, 2003
GB
Hi everyone.

Our SQL Server has stopped twice in the last week. I restart it and everything starts working okay again.

When it 'stops', I get this error when I try and use a website that uses the SQL Server database:
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][DBNETLIB]General network error. Check your network documentation.

This is what the error log reports:
Using 'odsole70.dll' version '2000.80.2039' to execute extended stored procedure 'sp_OACreate'.
Using 'SQLHotFix.dll' version 'UNKNOWN' to execute extended stored procedure 'sp_HotFix'.

Any ideas how to stop this?

Thanks

Matt,
I haven't seen this before. However, someone could be using sp_OACreate to create SQLHotFix.dll and run sp_HotFix. I googled SQLHotFix.dll and sp_HotFix. I didn't get anything. I would look at the permissions for the account that the website is using. Make sure it has least permissions required. I would also remove any exec permissions from sp_OACreate. Also, is this SQL server behind your firewall?

- Paul
- If at first you don't succeed, find out if the loser gets anything.

The SQL Server is behind a firewall.

How do I remove exec permissions from sp_OACreate?

Thanks

Go into the properties of the proc and look for the tab that has a permissions button on it. You can revoke or deny permissions there. Or look up Revoke & Deny in Books Online for the T-SQL syntax.

Catadmin - MCDBA, MCSA
"No, no. Yes. No, I tried that. Yes, both ways. No, I don't know. No again. Are there any more questions?"
-- Xena, "Been There, Done That"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back