Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this possible? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weogarth

MIS
Sep 8, 2003
US
I've got a small network running at home and I've never tried to do this particular thing and haven't really seen anything on if it's possible or how to do it.

Right now, I have a single machine using WinXP Pro plugged into the cable modem with a second NIC going to a hub and ICS to handle a couple computers's traffic and some limited file sharing. The machine isn't powerful enough to do much else.

I have an app I'd like to be have people be able to telnet net to from the outside. Right now, it's on the outside machine and it just isn't cutting it speed-wise.

What I'd like to know is, can I put this app on an 'inside' machine on its special port (it's not 23) and configure either ICS or RARS on the outside machine to steer it to the correct machine and port on the inside?

Regards

Gary Whitten

Apologies in advance for the inaccurate and inappropriate subject line. Can't seem to find a way to make it right, so please forgive.

Gary

I would get a cable router and connect the computers to it. It's simpler.

Are cable routers capable of saying 'If you get a telnet connection to port xxxx, redirect to IP 192.168.0.14:xxxx'?

I've never heard of one that could do that myself.

Gary

I see. What kind of price range is the router you're saying can do port forwarding?

I have never seen a router that won't do port forwarding. Price will also depends on the number of ports you want. Most common is 4 or 8 port.

I have had good luck with the Linksys Befsr41 and Befsr81. Check on ebay for new and used ones.

You might want to consider a wireless as long as you are making the investment. A wireless 4 port would take care of your immediate needs and be available for a wireless laptop later.

My 2 cents

Not sure if this works, but it does on 2000 server. Except for using 2000 server in place of XP pro, we have exactly the same setup and requirements. If you go into the properties of the card that is attached to the Internet and go into the sharing tab, you will see a button for "settings". Select this and then select the tab called "services". this will allow you to add ports and the internal address that these port requests should be passed to. e.g in our case we have a port that is used for connection to our main AS/400 (not the standard number btw), and the settings is set to forward this to 192.168.x.x on our internal network.

[pc]

Graham

Thanks Koresnordic, that's what I'm looking for. What's in XP Pro is somewhat different but I will experiment with it and see what can be done with it. I don't have 2K on that box because it has low RAM. If I can't get XP to do it, I'll reinstall with 2K and dig out a switch or work-around for overriding the minimum RAM requirement.

If money wasn't so tight, I'd go buy the router; may suck it up and buy it anyhow in a month or two, this system isn't holding up doing routing but the price was right. herrslime's point about the wireless has been in the back of my mind anyhow.

Thanks all for your help. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back