Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shamsm

ISP
Jul 16, 2002
GB
Hi

I would like to know if it's possible to have a field data calculated based on the data of another field. Let's say I have a Euro column which I enter data into directly but I would also like to have USD and GBP columns, is there a way where I can add a formula so that when I enter data into the Euro field the USD and GBP will automatically change to corresponding values depending on the parameters set,i.e. exchange rate.

Cheers

Tricky but possible, however all values become null and void on change of the current exchange rate(CER).

It would be more manageable to have a CER table and multiply the value from the main table by the value in CER when requested.

This means you only have to keep the CER table up to date and all calculations thereafter will not need to be changed. ______________________________________________________________________
There's no present like the time, they say. - Henry's Cat.

Your suggestion does make a lot of sense. I would like to give it a try, the problem I have though is that I would like to implement this on to a web site having never done any calculations on mysql, I would appreciate if you could let me know what would be the best way to start?

Thank you fopr your earlier reply

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back