Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Is This Possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brodie1227

Vendor
Feb 19, 2004
US
We have a primary server and need to replicate everything from one server to the other in real time. Here is the issue. Due to this specific application which is the most important reason why we are doing fail over requires the same server name. The primary dc is sbs2003 and the backup is server 2003. The only things we need are AD and this program. Can this be done affordably.We will be using micrsoft clustering but cannot figure out how to replicate the same server name. Thanks.

You can't cluster with SBS. And, you can't duplicate an SBS box and have it on your network.

Pat Richard, MCSE(2) MCSA:Messaging, CNA(2)

There isn't a module for SBS and, last time I checked, you can't Neverfail domain controllers (at least they don't support it).

(Am a certified Neverfail implementation engineer!)

when you say you are using microsoft clustering, are you using an actual MS cluster or NLB(Network Load Balance cluster)? The terminology has gotten a little confusing. When I think of MS Clustering, I am assuming two physical nodes (running Enterprise or Advance version of OS) with a shared disk resource. Does this sound like your setup? If so you should be able to create a network name resource that will do what you require. But, when you use the term 'replicate' server name it sounds like NLB, which is the wrong technology for what you are trying to accomplish.

Please reply...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back