Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

is this possible??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlutoTec9

IS-IT--Management
Dec 10, 2004
US
customer says nortel modem slowing his linksys router network

nortel DSL 1meg modem 10base 320k upload limit

His router linksys bfsr41

Is it possible that the modem can limit his
10base/100 to 10 instead of 100? he says that
connecting the modem to his router limits his home network. I have the same set up and my PCs all link up at full speed even though the modem is limited to 10base. I am questioning my own beliefs here need some help.
Wondering if he switched connections around between uplink and wan, would that limit the router speed between the PCs? Remember we are not talking about the internet speed just the speed of his network.
(He says speeds suck too, what can you do)

Set the linksys to a LAN subnet addressing scheme of 192.168.2.x instead of its default, or put the router in pure "bridge" mode if possible.

How long is the cable between the router and the modem? Is he using the internet/wan port of the router?

Probably a cable problem between the modem to the router.
You might say its far fetch, just try using another cable. Cable should be at least 3 feet but less than 6 feet.If that does not work, flash the firmware of the router.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back